Author Topic: How to repair a small tear in the seat cover  (Read 1631 times)

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
How to repair a small tear in the seat cover
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:26:52 AM »
I wonder if anyone has any tips for repairing a small gash in my (400-4) seat cover.  The seat is original and I'd like to keep it if possible (I have replaced the strap and buttons as they were quite corroded).  Any hints and tips gratefully received.  Many thanks.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: How to repair a small tear in the seat cover
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:12:14 AM »
The small tear will only get bigger. Put a new cover on, Dis-covers should do a replacement cover.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:41:11 PM »
or try a car smart repairer who does repairs on dashboards and upholstery
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Bodd

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 04:31:44 PM »
These guys do some good covers, I got my RD250 cover off them and it was excellent.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »
I have seen this done (my boss did it with a small tear in his VFR750 seat).

1. Turn the seat over. You should have a small amount of spare material where the cover has been stretched and stapled.
2. Cut off a small piece of the spare material - enough to cover the tear (like a puncture repair)
3. Carefully push the spare material into the tear. Use a matchstick or the blunt end of a plastic spoon.
4. Once the material is between the tear and the foam, superglue around the edges.

This makes a waterproof and almost invisible* repair.

* Disclaimer...   The "invisibleness" of the repair is directly proportional to the amount of care that you use. Do not use too much glue as it will show through the remaining tear (where the edges don't quite meet).

Good luck.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »
I have done as steve mentions above and it is prbably the best way to repair , other than taking off the cover and glueing a patch
pete

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 09:33:31 PM »
I don't disagree with the method but I've always understood "superglue" to be non-waterproof which allows such  as jokers and stagnight adventurers to be seperated from their drunken amusements from the night before.

There are vinyl (if that is what the material is) glues that tenting shops usually sell or try brand name "BIson" vinyl/plastic glue to see if it sticks to a sample of seat covering.

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 07:29:23 AM »
Many thanks all.  I'll try steve's suggestion .. But indeed look for vinyl glue.  Didnt think of getting a spare bit from underneath .. The best ideas are the simplest!. If it doesn't work for me ill replace it .. But I like a bit of patina on a bike  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal