Author Topic: Chrome plating  (Read 3914 times)

Bodd

Re: Chrome plating
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 12:49:08 PM »
well his prices seem ok, just out of interest what condition were the pipes in when you sent them, and for that matter the condition of the other stuff, was there much prep work for him to do
pete

The RD pipes were a bit rusty and the chrome was flakey, they were a bit scraped underneath but there were no dents, the only picture I have is of them on the bike when I was stripping it and it makes them look a bit better than they were. The other picture below is the one I sent to R&S for the quote, as a previous owner had more teeth than brain cells a lot of the bike had been sprayed with black and silver rattle cans so they were full of paint, in the picture you can see I had buffed all the paint off with roloc discs.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:50:43 PM by Bodd »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 05:09:14 PM »
Yes they all seem in good nick, it makes sense that the more prep you do yourself the better the final price form the chromer
pete

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 07:47:37 AM »
According to David Silver there is Euro regulation coming in the next couple of years which will virtually wipe out genuine chrome plating in the UK (well legally anyway  ;)  )

Cheers ... AshD

Went out on a works leaving 'doo' last night and I was talking to the son of the owner of Quality Chrome who works in the office where I work part time now, he told me that it's true that new legislation is coming in over the next two years. Something to do with the nickel plating process and that his dad was having to shell out 20k GBP to meet the new regs. so not quite true that they will go out of business but I suppose some may go to the wall if they can't afford the new equipment.

Cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:50:39 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 08:56:15 AM »
Same sort of think hapened to the paint industry, also a person i know built up a furniture restoration business 90% of his work relied on his chemical paint stripping process  which he invested his lifes savings in, he done work for houses of parliment heritige etc, the govorment bought in new rules regarding the chemicals  he used for stripping and effectivly put him out of business, he had to auction off his equipment for virtually scrap value, and came away with nothing , had he sold the business 2 years earlier it would of fetched him a few hundred thousand, it was also his sons future,
It pisses me off that china India and many other countries do not have to comply and can do what they like , no matter how bad for the planet
pete

Bodd

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »
It's not always about how it effects the planet, it's the person using the product, products like Gunk and Nitro-Mors have been "toned" down because of ingredients banned by the EU, I'm sure we all remember the myriads of grease monkeys falling off the perch in Gunk related incidents in the 70's and 80's  ;)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »
Its just another money making project
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 10:22:18 AM »
Isn't everything the EU thinks up about making money? These are the same morons who want to make it illegal to ride bikes more than 7 years old into town centres,and force us to wear full sleeve dayglo jackets while riding! Off topic I know, but milions of people died between 1939 and 1945 to stop germany teling us how to live our lives, now this country pays billions every year into the EU, and who runs it? THE GERMANS!  Rant over!

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 10:42:02 AM »
We think alike hairygit,
pete

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 11:00:33 AM »
I am with you Hairygit all the way on views
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Bodd

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »
Got to agree, I think M.E.P. now stands for Making Everyone Poor, they keep coming up with ridiculous laws to justify their own existence and to fleece us, we pay tax on what we earn and then pay tax on what we buy with the money we have already been taxed on.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 01:12:46 AM »
Hi,

Anyone used these people for chroming.

http://www.classicsandchrome.co.uk/1.html

A fellow CB250K0 restorer has used them and gave a good report.

Cheers ... AshD

Regarding  This post. I asked the guy to confirm the prices he paid for rims, as I thought his prices were too good to be true, and he sent me his invoice which was 100 quid each not 50 he told me initially. They were really ropey to start with though and I mean ropey!!!  He also paid the following: kickstart 20, downpipe 35,handlebars 30, 2 mudguards 165 the pair, chainguard 55. This is for a '68 CB250K0

Think I may give Quality Chrome a bash again to save paying any delivery /loss in transit. they are about 7 miles from me.

cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:14:19 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal