Author Topic: Chrome plating  (Read 3913 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Chrome plating
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:13:04 AM »
Hi,

Anyone used these people for chroming.

http://www.classicsandchrome.co.uk/1.html

A fellow CB250K0 restorer has used them and gave a good report.

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Chrome plating
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 06:45:06 AM »
I wonder if they are any good , i have 2 bikes worth of parts to chrome, ie 4 rims, 4 guards, and many smaller parts i dread the thought of what its going to cost me, i will be saving the pounds and hopefully one day there will be a good chromer who is well and tuely recommeded, maybe these people are the ones
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:11:57 AM »
He reckoned it cost him 50 GBP for a  CB250 wheel  rim which seems like half the price Quality Chrome in Hull near me are going to charge.

Cheers .. AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:25:12 AM »
I may have to try these guys out...

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:55:04 AM »
50 sqid sounds to good to be true, all my rims have tyre lever marks and gouges, also rust pitting, when you think of labour costs these days, its probably going to take a day in time to do 2 rims linishing down the rough bits , then the stripping then any further pre chroming prep then chroming , i think ashford chrome were quoting 200 + per rim, 160 for a front guard, and thats if the metal prep was minimal, maybe i will send up my f2 front guard for a sample of his work then if he fucks up at least i have a spare
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:16:25 AM »
Not sure on the original state of the rims he got chromed Pete but the original bike was well rough £30 off eBay!. My rims's just have a few pimply speckles in the chrome so should be the easiest and cheapest to restore. If I ever get a rolled rear rim though, that will be another story. My worry is leaving really rare, expensive to replace,  parts for ages with people you don't know and the fear of them going bust. It was a real worry when I got my 750K0 frame painted.
What we need is someone from a chroming place to come on here and join the gang ! Not the 'you are all bunch of ****** hiding behind your keyboards type though'  ;)

The guy who had the chroming done is away at the 'mo. Him and myself have our own little CB250KSS (K0) 'email' resto' forum, as there is very little else on the Web apart from Hondatwins.net, which is like the equivalent of the SOHC US site and not quite as 'intimate' as this forum and not so good on UK models. I will quiz him more when he gets back. He also got his two tone candyred/white tank painted by some local car firm for little money and it looks spot on in the pics I have seen. 

Here is the transcript from his email to me for CB250 parts (rims the same size  as 400/4) "Chrome I use Classic & chrome Hinckley (Dave) 01455 637921. Charges about £80 for a mudguard(with stays) £10-15 for smaller parts Rims £50 each. Brake arm £10".

Cheers ... Ash
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:26:48 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 08:45:17 AM »
Sounds good ash, we need someone on board this forum who can do our chrome work, most impotantly is quality of work and trust, oh and of course money ha ha
pete

Bodd

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 10:19:07 AM »
I use R&S Electroplating, the exhausts, downpipes and castle joints below cost £220 and the 400/4 bits cost £80.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:28:52 AM by Bodd »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:11:21 AM »
I use R&S Electroplating, the exhausts, downpipes and castle joints below cost £220 and the 400/4 bits cost £80.

His he the guy who 'commented' on us a couple of months back!

Cheers ... AshD

Bodd

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »

Cheers ... AshD

I don't know, I've only been on here a couple of weeks, what did he say ?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »

Cheers ... AshD

I don't know, I've only been on here a couple of weeks, what did he say ?

Well it may have been him, not sure,  who came on here and said "Not really anything I can say, these forums are used by people who would rather moan via a keyboard than contact us direct".

Cheers ...AshD

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 12:17:25 PM »
I'm due to pick-up some parts from R&S Electroplating next Monday, not sure what comments have been made in the past, but I have found Mark ok to deal with.
Will post items and costs when I have them

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Bodd

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »
I found the thread you are referring to AshD, I suppose it is the same with any service, some are satisfied and some are not, I am satisfied with the work he has done for me, the RD pipes were done early 2012 and are still perfect, granted the bike has never been out in bad weather but it has been ridden a lot. As RD pipes are like Hen's teeth I paid extra for insurance when I sent them and R&S did the same when they returned them.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:15:06 PM by Bodd »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »
It wasn't me who used R&S , it was someone else on here, who started the discussion. I have only used Quality Chrome near me in Hull. They are so, so. I was a bit disappointed with them if I am honest but at least I could personally drop off and pick up the parts. According to David Silver there is Euro regulation coming in the next couple of years which will virtually wipe out genuine chrome plating in the UK (well legally anyway  ;)  )

Cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:55:04 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
well his prices seem ok, just out of interest what condition were the pipes in when you sent them, and for that matter the condition of the other stuff, was there much prep work for him to do
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal