Author Topic: Converting DSS nipples to correct gold  (Read 1693 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Converting DSS nipples to correct gold
« on: July 30, 2014, 12:38:33 AM »
Hi, Opened my packs of spokes I bought from DSS in 2009 as Kettle738 advised me they may not have correct gold passivated zinc plated nipples. He was correct they were found to be  BZP.
Anyway experimented in the 'lab' late tonight (my utility room). Washed one in isopropanol to de-grease, cleaned with tissue, rinsed in de-ionised water then into the gold passivate from Gateros, rinse again then looking good.

http://gaterosplating.co.uk/Replacement-Items.php

Cheers .. Ash

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:42:07 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Converting DSS nipples to correct gold
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:13:37 AM »
That is amazing, i thought only freshly plated metal can be passivated i will be buying some more ds spokes and will attempt the same
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:11:34 AM »
I thought so too Pete but there you go. I did leave them in for quite a long time though, as it is usually a few  minutes dip and they are passivated, when done straight out of the Zinc plating process. I was expecting a mild acid etch before they would convert but tried without first. I will a  post pic's of the patent 'Ashimoto' plating equipment sometime (don't laugh or mock me when I do  :-[) . Problem is that some of my plating kit was lost in the 1.2 metre high tidal floods we had round here in December, just after I had loaned all of my plating stuff out to someone at work!! Luckily, some chemicals were in  a plastic bin and it just floated on the water and never got wet but I lost my Copy Chrome (never really got chance to use properly) chemicals and all the instructions Gateros gave with all of the chemicals. I want try try black anodizing next. I bought the proper industrial black dye ages ago, just been too busy or my period of being 'out of sorts' to get round to trying  it. Also I lost all of my instructions Gateros sent with the chemicals in the floods (I always buy 1/2 quantities of just the chemicals from them, not the kits). They are wonderful people there at Gateros, a real breath of fresh air . Julie there (the owners wife) is really, really helpful and nothing seems too much trouble. Glad to see they have expanded and now a LTD company and employing their son.

I will ask my industrial chemist friend about the chemistry of gold passivizing zinc, years after the parts have been plated. Nasty stuff BTW those passivating  chemicals, as they contain Chromates. Rubber gloves etc required !!

Cheers .. AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 07:08:56 PM »
Ash, it sounds like you have a Frankenstein lab. All beyond me.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:17:53 PM »
I wonder if you can get a jolt from his electrode Trig?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 09:16:46 PM »
Ash, it sounds like you have a Frankenstein lab. All beyond me.

Funny you should say that. Before I moved house twenty years ago I had a large garage at the bottom of the garden. I foolishly bought a Midget to teach myself to weld. I'd be in there till the early hours of the morning and a guy came tapping at the window on night as he saw all of the arcing coming from the side window. I went out to see what he wanted and his wife had sent him over from across the road as she thought some type of Frankenstein monster was being created! Used to make my own fireworks when I was about ten too  ::), amazingly I used to tell the woman in the chemists that my old man had sent me in for some potassium nitrate for his garden and they used to sell it to me. Never could get the Strontium Nitrate to create the red colour though  :(  Happy Days.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal