Author Topic: Update on Rubber softening  (Read 1774 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Update on Rubber softening
« on: August 01, 2014, 08:13:23 AM »
Just an update on my 750 carb inlet rubbers that I softened in 2010 with Reofos 50  chemical. The originals were rock hard but after treatment in 2010 they are as still soft and supple / compliant in 2014. OK they have not been fitted to the bike yet but pretty amazing transformation in the hardness. Another member tried a sample I gave him, without success, but you need to heat the chemical up and immersion time is important. I need to treat the other rubbers so will keep you posted. Also need to try the airbox 'rubbers' as they are a form of plastic not rubber (well on the K0 750 anyway). I will try to send photos' before and after treatment (i.e compression at a known load on treated and untreated parts)

It may be hard to get hold of though, I will ask the guy who got mine if he can get his Purchasing people to let me know where they buy it from and costs.

UKPete ... I know I promised you some to try and not forgotten but my 'contact' for it has been off ill for a while...but he should be back at work soon :)

http://www.greatlakes.com/deployedfiles/ChemturaV8/GreatLakes/Flame%20Retardants/FR%20Products/Reofos%2050%20TDS.pdf

Cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:16:18 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Rubber softening
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »
That's great news ash, I have 5 sets to do,
Pete

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
Ash are you a biker or chemistry professor mate?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »
Ash are you a biker or chemistry professor mate?
Cheers
Bitsa

Definitely a biker Bitsa (went to work all the time for 17 years, never in car,  on my Cb250K3,Then 3 400/4's then KZ650B1 . No I am an electronics design engineer these days Bitsa  but I originally did a degree in Physics/Chemistry. Spo'se I am a bit of a mad professor type  scientist type really though so correct in some ways  :-[

The most amusing & weirdest things I have been asked to do is a) repair the triple stage reduction epicyclic gearbox in a rampant rabbit  (there's a really funny tale to that one!!  and b)  develop a w***ing hand as a prop for my friend, the  playwright Richard Bean for his play 'In the Club' about an MEP who couldn't perform in the bedroom dept.

Mr. Honda was a metallurgist by profession originally and I think David Silver did a chemistry degree before he stumbled on all of those NOS parts and became rich and famous !

Cheers ... Ash
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:03:15 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:54:02 PM »
Bloody good Ash always liked multi talented geezers but not jack of all trades master of FA
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 02:41:09 AM »
Bloody good Ash always liked multi talented geezers but not jack of all trades master of FA
Cheers
Bitsa

You mean like this 'red-neck'  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ-uf4YyeHI

cheers ...the Prof

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »
Ash
Yeah Seen that before thought what a crock of shit then.Hard elbow work is the only way I know and will stick to that
Cheers
Bitsa

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal