Author Topic: Gasket sets  (Read 4964 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Gasket sets
« on: August 01, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »
Picture the scene. All engine bits nicely repainted, all machining etc done, all spotlessly cleaned and neatly laid out on the bench. Here we go, open the 'full' gasket set and get assembling this beast. "But wait" where's all the bloody o-rings. Not a single o-ring has been supplied in this so called full gasket set from M&P. Has anybody else had this problem with Honda sets. Have so far rebuilt Triumph, Norton, and 3 Kawasaki's and not once have I encountered this problem. In fact the Kawasaki sets had extra's in them (that caused another problem in thinking I had missed some out) but hey, better that way. The question is, do I now need to identify every o-ring and order them separately, or can I just get an o-ring kit and use that. Not sure what type of rubber they are etc. Anyway the jobs stopped yet again whilst I wait for parts that should be there already. Happy days.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Gasket sets
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 07:21:14 PM »
You must watch out when buying a Full gasket set. The wording is right. It doesn't say full gasket set and full O'ring set ;) And if you get on to M&P that is what they will tell you but, give it a go.
Full O'ring set. Never had one or seen one. Better to buy Vesrah or NP, that is if you can find one.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:52:06 PM »
This is becoming a habit, agree with Trig always bought o rings separately for some reason
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:07:36 PM »
I think all 'O' rings with be nitrile rubber 70 Shore 'A' Hardness (70 is standard hardness)

You could always use Viton too but I doubt these were ever  fitted as standard and the standard grade of Viton is a little harder than nitrile at 75 Shore A

Cheers ... Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »
 ;) I always made sure I bought a full kit when needed. and I only used to buy Honda gaskets or at auto jumbles where I can see the o rings in the packet ,I made sure i got the camshaft o rings  they are really small . i have had full  sets of eBay  as well with no problems
 ::)    but you will not get the oil seals like crankshaft seals ,gearbox and kick start oil seals or final drive or crankcase oil seals, they have always been  a separate kit even from Honda
 its a sign of the times  I spose higher prices and a lot less for your money  and getting harder to find quality gaskets sets ,customer care went out the window years ago

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »
I think the Dave sillver set comes with o rings , give him a ring to find ou
tpete

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 09:03:58 AM »
I bought a full set from David Silver Spares for my F1 but even that was missing some O rings which I had to order separately.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 12:11:13 PM »
Just a bit more info on the gasket set I bought. It's an NE Super Gasket brand from M&P, Part No. 995850, A High Level product. The gaskets in the kit appear to be of reasonable quality (although I haven't tried them yet), the only o-rings supplied with it were 8 for the tappet covers. Thanks for the info on the rubber type. Does anybody know if DSS sell these o-rings separately by part number. Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
Got my last lot from DSS but the prices WILL surprise you
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 01:07:15 PM »
Holy mother, your right about the DSS prices. Not doing that, that's just plain old Dick Turpin robbery. Just been back to good old EBay, what a bunch of super stars. Got all the o-rings Nitrile 70 shore in the correct sizes. 10 each of the four sizes I need, £10.05p including postage for the whole lot. EBay saves the day again, this rebuild job would be impossible without EBay. Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline r1_pete

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 08:24:59 PM »
I've an Athena set on its way, the pic shows many O rings, I'll let you know what it actually contains when it arrives.
2009 Yamaha XJR1300 sold
1977 CB750F2 café racer project. Sold
1972 CB750K2 hot rod. Sold
and an E-Type Jaguar that considers itself worthy of all my spare cash. Sold

1971 CB450
1978 Reliant Scimitar Cosworth.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 08:26:46 PM »
Yes please Pete intrigued
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:47:28 PM »
 ;) Athena that name rings a bell, i think you will be OK with them ones , I'm sure I've used them before , anyways let us know how much they cost now as well  ::)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 06:43:33 AM »
people used to buy athena sets sell on the head gasket and use the honda head gasket,
pete

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 07:48:04 AM »
That must of been me Pete. Had lots of problem with the head gasket from Athena.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal