Author Topic: Engine Looks Great  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Engine Looks Great
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:22:32 AM »
Hello everybody, i have one question about what is the best way to finish a engine and that it look great.
 I see, that the people usually paint his engines with Aerosol and then oven it, the result is very good, looks great, but is the paint "resistant" to Fuels,Oils,....?? is resistant "over time"?

Two years ago I did my 550 Engine, and I "blasting" it with "pearls" "microspheres" and the result is great, is very easy to clean, and I am not worry about of fuel/oil leaks.

Well, what is the best option? Paint or any Blaster type:Pearls,Soda Blasted,Ice,.......

Sorry for my English, Thank you in advance.

140805102617354266.jpg.html][/URL]

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Looks Great
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 09:29:25 AM »
Piki, once the paint has been baked on in the oven at 200c for one and a half to two hours it becomes fuel & oil resistant. Blasting depends on how dirty the engine is. A good wash with petrol and then soda blast it gives a good result. It is always better to strip the engine to do all this.   

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:08:16 AM »
Thank you Trigger, but what is the best Option? At the Future I want rebuild my 400 four Engine and I want the best.
 Look the pics, Factory's paint  is "peal off", is a Aerosol Paint better than the Factory's Paint? :-\

My engine is only "Blasting " and it seems paint....The only bad thing is that the Aluminium has not protection......

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »
Jblasting leaves a great finish, however aluminum needs to be protected , otherwise it oxidises. And the finish. Will deteriorate , and eventually the aluminum will  start getting eaten away in the areas where you can't reach to clean
Pete

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »
Thank you Pete!! The Only thing is that in Spain, the climate is very good ;). My next proyect I Will paint my Engine.

Best Regards.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »
Piki, oxidation has nothing to do with the climate, well a little bit. It is down to oxygen that the aluminum reacts to. It is always better to seal a engine with paint after it has been cleaned.
I did a full chrome on a water cooled engine some years ago now. The bloody thing kept over heating. The chrome was like having a engine wrapped in a blanket.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 08:28:37 PM »
Trig
Dont believe you got caught with that one mind you I bet you have chromed a 50 pence bit in your time.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 09:15:30 PM »
Bitsa, it was done as a show engine. When i sold the bike, i informed the buyer that it had a overheating problem. He said, never mind i will take the thermostat out. So i left it with him.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
Brill like clients like that
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal