Author Topic: exhaust and carb studs  (Read 2131 times)

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
exhaust and carb studs
« on: August 10, 2014, 07:36:01 PM »
2 questions

are they the same stud either side of cylinder head

also best way to remove studs without snapping only need a couple each side for replacement head

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust and carb studs
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 08:10:54 PM »
Mike, No they are different. The back studs are M6x32 and the exhaust studs are M6x40. The best way to take out the exhaust studs is with the right tool (Stud extractor) but, it can be done with two nuts. Lock one against the other and use a lot of heat from a blow touch.   

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »
I found my cheap stud extrators tended to chew threads so I prefer to use 2 nuts tightened against each other or I have been known to use a small set of stilsons which do leave marks but can be dressed back to rude health.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »
cheers guys. great info, got them all out surprisingly easy with the 2 nuts way  8)

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:04:59 PM »
took of the 12 nuts that hold down the head, took out tensioner bolt...... and allen head bolt

now it prises up 3-5 mm and gets caught on something

anything I have missed, cant seem to see anything else

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:46:07 PM »
If it is moving that much, probably it is just snagging on the threads of the studs or the head gaskett is well stuck and ripping. If a bolt was still in there then it probably won't move that much. Been a long time since I took one appart.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 10:49:09 PM »
it prises up carb side more, could be snagging on threads.... try again tomorrow

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 10:52:21 PM »
Mike, have you removed all the head stud washers? Sometimes they catch on the threads. It is also hard to remove the head because the barrels will be stuck with the head gasket.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 11:05:20 PM »
I seem to recall this was known by Honda, if you look on the outside edges of the bottom of the barrels you will see Honda cut in a couple of slots to place prybars/wide blade screwdriver to assist lifting away from the gasket!
 ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »
I think whatt you are describing happened to me . The problem was that the tensioner mechanism wasn't seating right in the slot in the casing that the base of the tensioner is meant to sit in......  later ... reminder to self when repling tp threads "always read the thread proerly first before replying" "always read the thread proerly first before replying" "always read the thread proerly first before replying" "always read the thread proerly first before replying"  "always read the thread proerly first before replying" "always read the thread proerly first before replying"..... I was thinking that you were saying that the head was getting stuck when putting it back on  :-X
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:01:20 PM by Ewan 500 K1 »
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 08:56:04 PM »
well head is off I think it was just catching on the threads, plus I missed one washer in the middle of the head ( recessed ones )

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal