Author Topic: cb550 carb/ petcock problem  (Read 1557 times)

Offline stuartni

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
cb550 carb/ petcock problem
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »
Ok guys got an issue with one carb overflow. Story goes bike starts and runs lovely sounds perfect but once she is warm carb 3 (from the left when your on the bike) the overflow leaks. Also my petcock  doesnt have the plastic strainer pipe I fella we where speaking to said thiz could be the issue???

Offline peterengland

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: cb550 carb/ petcock problem
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:53:34 PM »
Had this on my 550 overflowing from carb 2. I took them off and cleaned the float needles and seat with carb cleaner and she was fine when all back together. I have an in line type filter between fuel tap and carb.
Suzuki 50
Suzuki GT185
Honda CD175
Yamaha RD350
Honda 50 crunch box
Honda 400/4
Honda 550/4
Honda 750C

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
Stuart - i don't think this is a fuel tap issue. I had a similar issue on my 750 k6 recently and turned out to be a crack in the brass overflow tube itself. First thing you need to do is double check the float height setting on carb 3. Also make sure the float needle seat is actually seating / sealing properly (i.e cutting the fuel supply to that carb when the float is at the correct height to close). Then try swapping float bowls with one of the carbs that isn't leaking. If the fault moves with the bowl you may have a dodgy overflow tube. If it persists then it's either a float height / operation issue (float could also be sticking) or a needle valve issue...

Also, when you see it leaking / overflowing try gently tapping the bowl with a spanner - again if it stops leaking then it's probably a sticky float.

Hope that makes sense (ish)...

Offline stuartni

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »
ok guys thanks for the help seem to have it sorted now thanks for the info

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal