Author Topic: finding my old bike  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
finding my old bike
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
Well I tried and guess what my beautiful written belly crawling letter for GKN 115N had no affect DVLA turned me down because my reasons for wanting my old bike back was not good enough for that data.
So all you seekers out there find it yourselves they are no help what so ever
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: finding my old bike
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »
Sad to hear that Bitsa... but not in the least surprised.

I'm especial miffed at DVLA right now... because they happily 'gave' out my personal details to 'Parking Eye' ... despite me not having broken any laws or done anything illegal. The charge was wrong & quickly dropped... but the point is if DVLA are freely giving out personal info to modern day cowboys / dubious types then they should also give that info to our bonafide requests.

I keep thinking to reapply to find my old bike; and include the above 'for their consideration', with a mention that they are there to serve us & not the other way around.

But hey, what's the point?

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:22:14 AM »
Not a charge, Simon, it's only a civil matter. That's the key but you are quite right not to pay them.

It's all about money and screwing the motor(cycl)ist, not about "good old yellow pages"

See posts passim: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,6160.msg31998.html#msg31998
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »
Hi Tom,

Bad use of words... I meant 'charge' as in monies / fee... versus accusations!

And yes, the point was it is a civil matter, I'd not nothing illegal / unlawful.  Parking Eye should have no access to DVLA data unless some law is broken...

Ta for your help recently, tank man SMS'd me yesterday to say the job stated. Aaargh..

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »
Cheers Guys but why cant they send it on and charge you a fee for that?
Make a lot of people happy and they make some dough for their time just like RPG told me
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 01:30:58 PM »
Hi Bitsa, can't actually agree that I'm happy DVLA give out my details to anyone for a fee!
Hi value vehicles would be disappearing from their garages at a rate of knots..

But yep, I'm at a loss why DVLA simply can't pass on your request to the owner... who then has a choice whether he wants to make contact.

Simon

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 01:35:27 PM »
Lobo
Exactly you do have good points, I would give up pursuing her if the owner told me to FO its not for sale then I would know she is not rotting away somewhere
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 01:41:04 PM »
...forgive me... misunderstood your "send it on" comment! Figured you meant send the address on to you. Doh!

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 09:21:10 PM »
Lobo
No if swansea would forward my letter to the owner he or they could make their mind up and swansea would have not indulged any info.No breaches and no one up tight and swansea would have a contribution to their easy earning wages.Makes sense?
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 07:59:59 AM »
..100% sense Bitsa, wholeheartedly agree. It seems we're just dealing with morons (or a system) that are completely devoid of bloody common sense.
Simon

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 11:27:19 PM »
If you are a member of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club the club magazine Tansha has a section where an advertisement  can be placed for members seeking info on their old bike. Probably a bit of a 'long shot' but there are some 6000 members and it might just be in one of those member's shed. I suppose Lobo's one could be one David Silver has, or maybe it's one that's been though the hands of the fella who buys 400 fours on ebay, strips them and lists the parts back on ebay. There will be varied views on that practice!

I too am quite uncomfortable that these private parking companies have access to DVLA vehicle registration records, these companies have to be member of the British Parking Association to have access. £2.50 a check and most have on line access. No doubt their access is only for legitimate reasons, but how are they audited to ensure they follow the rules? Certainly some of them are 'mickey mouse' outfits.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 12:26:58 AM »
Thanks Peter...

Whilst not a member of that club I may well get in touch with the Honda Club & ask there..

A cheerful suggestion that my old bike may have been broken!!! Yikes. For the past 3 years note it as simoly SORNed .... and hoping this means its languishing somewhere versus a crappy old frame with V5 popping up in ebay!

Cheers,
Simon.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 11:50:42 PM »
Well here's another novel method of finding your old bike!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB175-/181509837679?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2a42d4536f

Just noticed it's RGP's   :-[  ..Well thought out ...best of luck! Hope no silly eBay rules kick in!

Cheers ....Ash
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:54:55 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 12:57:36 AM »
Cunning....
Good luck RGP & keep us all posted...

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 06:58:30 AM »
Thanks Guys
I don't think they will take it off as i'm trying to sell something. ;)
Had some interesting messages including one where a guy in Wales found his bike
by sending a letter to DVLA to be forwarded on to the owner which they did, must have got to
someone more sympathetic than the one my letters got to.
Fingers crossed and keep hoping the owner sees it.
Rich
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal