Author Topic: Hi . . . Kerby Honda 500 info.  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Doc.

• View Profile
Hi . . . Kerby Honda 500 info.
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »
Hi.
A new friend of mine has an '82 Kerby Honda 500 single, and has offered me a ride on it at the Belgium Classic TT at Gedinne, end of August.

I came over from the sohc4.net forum, they suggested there might be some folk interested here, with maybe some knowledge of them . . .

He also has a SOHC 810 Race Bike.

I've been working on them both in the last few weeks, to get them ready for Gedinne.
Nothing major, just a thorough 'going-over', with a few choice 'tweaks' and minor mods/adjustments.

Was hoping to take the Kerby to a track-day last weekend, but a slipping clutch stopped that.
It was in a local Bike shop for a run on their Dyno, but the clutch was slipping while they were trying to start it!
The owner thinks they tried to start it on the roller, without taking it back against compression first, he thinks it probably just over-powered the Clutch.

We took the 750 instead.
Perfect day for it, pity it had an oil leak that stopped play   :'(

Went out in the first session, and was impressed with how well it went.

I've never ridden it before, and hadn't been on track for a few years, so took it fairly gently (luckily).
First three laps were 'sighting' laps, following a staff member.
Just after he pulled off, I felt my left Boot slipping on the peg, looked down to see Oil all over it.
Pulled in to check it over.

Looked to be coming from the bottom of the gear-change cover, so we whipped it off and found the gasket was broken at the rear lower corner.
As we didn't have a spare, we refitted it with some blue Hylomar, wiped the oil off the rear tyre, and I went out again.

Kept an eye on it, and after four laps or so it was doing it again.
Pulled in and whipped the Crank cover off.
Gasket was fine, as was the surface of the Crankcase.
Then I looked at the inside of the Cover itself, and there was the cause.

It's not got an Alternator fitted, and the gap in the casing where there should be a rubber bung (where the loom passes through), was just empty, no wonder it leaked!

A Pessimist, is just an Optimist with experience . . .

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Hi . . . Kerby Honda 500 info.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »
Excellent going and that gap will give you oil over your boot.
Good Luck
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Doc.

• View Profile
Hi . . . Kerby Honda 500 info.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:26:52 AM »
Excellent going and that gap will give you oil over your boot . . .

It certainly did, and all over the sidewall of the Tyre, and left edge of the tread!  :o
Luckily I was taking it easy, and not cranking it too far over.

Opening is plugged now.
Made a 'well' around it with Plasticine, then poured in a two-part polysulphide compound, sets like rubber.
Trimmed it when cured, but left it a little proud of the casing edge, so it gets compressed slightly when the casing's fitted.
A Pessimist, is just an Optimist with experience . . .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal