Author Topic: enamel or vht paint for the engine block?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline simonster

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
enamel or vht paint for the engine block?
« on: August 25, 2014, 02:19:03 PM »
I have just spent a whole day removing peeling black engine enamel from the block. Standard remover wouldn't touch it so resorted to industrial starchem which took two heavy applications and lots of ventilation! I'm wanting s high temp silver and simonez vht looks just right and should be cured through running the engine. What is the real difference between vht spray can paint over enamel?? Trigger is this your expertise?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: enamel or vht paint for the engine block?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:51:16 PM »
The engine needs to be clean of any old paint and corrosion. Some paints will react with other paints >:(. You will always get a good finish with your prep work. Never rely on the engine temperature to cure the paint properly, always put it in the oven at 180 for 1 1/2 hours.
I had a mate some years ago that tried to rely on the engine temp to cure the paint. It had oily finger prints in the paint and he had a small oil leak that made a mess before the paint even had time to cure. Sort cuts to this job will bite you.

Offline simonster

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »
Thanks for the advice trigger. The block and fins have had lots of prep and I could now get away with leaving it in their original state apart from the block above the crank cases which is stained with surface corrosion. I want it to look like a new button, as they say so decided on paining the block silver to match bright aluminium and the fins painted mat black... leaving everything else polished. Any experience with vht paint and I mean the stuff recommended for manifolds etc, wondering if this will work in a similar way to enamel?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:03:38 PM by simonster »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:14:44 PM »
I am not sure what VHT paint, Colour you are talking about? Were do you want to paint and in what colour. OK, you want matt black fins. Use a VHT caliper paint for that but, must be baked on. If you need more info i will find some links but, USAutomotive in Bedford do a very good VHT caliper Matt paint. Silver, use SIMVHT31C also needs to be baked.

Offline simonster

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:32:21 PM »
Thanks for the good advice u will post some pics when its done.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal