Author Topic: Can I fit any of the Comstar wheels/forks on a 1972 CB500 four?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline petersy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
I bought a new 1974 CB500 four in (would you believe) 1974 when mag alloy wheels for bikes were first making an appearance.
I was lucky enough to know someone who had a contact at the factory in Mildenhall and managed to get a set at a discount - they looked great when fitted.
Today I still like the 1972 K2 CB500 four and want to change the wheels (and possibly forks if necessary) to alloy wheels, but alas can't find any for a bike this old.
An alternative might be a set of Honda Superdream wheels/forks with Comstar wheels, hence my post to see if anyone on the forum has done this and if so, how did you do it.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Can I fit any of the Comstar wheels/forks on a 1972 CB500 four?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »
Cb650 comstars fit but I think a bit of messing was required to line up the disks, I fitted a set to my 550k3 many moons ago. Bike is now in bits to store undercover as I didn't have space for it. As it happens I have 2 sets of comstars and a set of Melbur alloys off a 500/4. The melburs need a cosmetic overhaul but are sound, the comstars would just need a clean up to look presentable.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline petersy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »
I don't know what the Melbur wheels look like. Do they fit straight on with no messing please?
If you have photos I might be interested if you are not too far away.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 06:32:03 PM »
I'll try to get out and photo the Melburs, I haven't a clue about price on these, will need to think about it, my personal preference is for spoked wheels I think, but the bike they are off is a long way off me doing it up, I think they will have to get me enough to re spoke and re line a set of spoked wheels or buy good wheels off ebay. They fit fairly straightforwardly into a stock 500/4 as far as I know even the spacers and disk, bearing retainers etc stay standard though I will hopefully be at a stage with my current rebuild to check properly in the next fortnight. The price may make a photo a moot point, when I bought the bike someone asked about buying them and was rather miffed when I said what I wanted. Bottom line is a quick blow over with a spray can will see them ready to fit and the spoked wheels I have to replace them will need re lacing and drum re lining.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:19:02 PM »
I am having 'issues' loading photos. Before I take any more time swearing at the computer are these Melburs of interest? They include what looks to me like standard spindle, speedo drive, disk etc and rear brake brake plate.

Offline petersy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 08:07:37 PM »
If you let me know the price. I will be in a position to let you know if I can afford them before you spend more time trying to load photos.

Thanks

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »
Hopefully a picture will upload, computer is vying to get into a skip nd will not save smaller versions of immages about 95% of the time.
I think price wise I'd like £200 for them, or a swap for a decent set of spoked wheels, not expecting immaculate but not with badly rusty spokes or rims.

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 10:48:30 PM »
I quite like Comstar wheels, but assuming everything else about your bike will be stock, particularly the exhausts, I don't think they would go. With a 4-1 system may be.

Never liked reverse Comstars (with the spokes fluted out)

Just sayin'
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 11:23:58 PM »
I have to agree that the conventional comstars are better looking than the reverse type, think they will fit a bike easily enough regardless of exhaust type, cirtainly nowhere near getting in the way on my 550k3 which had comstars on with either the 4 into 4 pipes or a motad Neta exhaust - from what I recall the issues there were only around front disk offset, the rear wheel is a direct swap over. These Melburs are not exactly my first choice, but might really set off a cafe racer bike. However they fit and do not need re spoking so for my solo bike they will do rather than buy new wheels. I wouldn't use them on my sidecar bike though, just not 'right'at all.

Offline petersy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 10:50:27 AM »
Doyou have a photo yet please?

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 11:52:56 AM »
They'll look like this Peter:

... with a bit (lot?) of work.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 01:52:56 PM »
There should be a photo higher up the thread, a small one I am afraid, but Steve has kindly added a better one of some smart ones, the ones I have need a polish and repaint to look that good, though the bearings seem ok, although the bearings wouldn't hurt for a bit of grease as they are a trifle stiff, still turn smoothly I have found given a gentle run this initial stiffness is common on bike wheels that have stood idle a while, the grease goes like tar, fresh grease and a run sorts em, though it might tempt a lot of folk to change the bearings unnecessarily. To date I have never had to do a set of rear bearings on any cb500 or cb550. They definitely need a clean and re paint  to not look ratty.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal