Author Topic: It has arrived!  (Read 21824 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
It has arrived!
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:17:25 PM »
Finally picked up my 1977 Cb550 super sport. 

The good - minimal surface rust on the frame and swingarm, engine looks in good shape, already has a dual disc conversion, and it came with loads of spare parts (extra set of carbs, braided steel brake lines, original spoked wheels, deeptone exhaust, and the bottom end of the original engine).

The bad - fork tubes are pitted, probably need replacing.  Wiring has been "altered" and it looks like a rats nest.  Front brakes are seized.  Bit worried that the engine has been replaced by PO, but hopefully all is right.  The added front disk setup looks like it needs some proper bolts to make right.  Headers need replacing - far too rusted to work with. 

What do you all think?  Did I do alright for £440?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: It has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:38:04 PM »
Looks ok for the money given the extras included, fairly good. Looks like you have a bit of work to do.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:51:03 PM »
That's a good buy, worth that just for spares
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »
I can't find anything that even resembles a bike for that price near me.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »
A 550 with twin disks and Comstars.

There's someone (new) looking for info on fitting them. Maybe you could swap notes.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
For some reason i had in my head you were getting a CB750 :o

Online mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »
That will look better again when it had a good wash  ;) bargain for that amount of money

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 06:55:12 PM »
Agree with all 8 years ago Paid more than that for a dung heap 400/4
Wish you well
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 07:55:35 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, glad to know I didn't pay too much for it.  It's my first bike, so a steep learning curve here!
I spent the afternoon starting to tear things down and cleaning.   A few problems have been found, and so here's a few more questions.
Oddjob,  the clocks are still blue, so not too bad with sun fade.  As for the adjusting bolts, on both sides they have been replaced with screws - any idea where to get a set of the original bolts? 

Also, I the second brake was mounted in the exact mirror of the original.  I think I read somewhere that you need to make some slight adjustments  to get the pads to align correctly - can someone help me out on how this is done?

Lastly for today, as I was removing the brakes I noticed that one of the mounting bolts was missing.  As I wiped away some grease I noticed why - the threaded area in the fork has been cracked.  Any suggestions on a remedy, or do I need to find a replacement?

A few pics of the work today.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »
I have some fork cases that has the same cracked thread. Not sure if it is the left or right one that has the damage. Will have a look tomorrow and let you know.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »
Had a suzuki gs550 like that sent it to a firm in Maidstone Kent who straightened the lot and fixed that came back like new for less than a 1 enner
Highly recommended no big deal
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 08:23:13 PM »
Folks can be re-chromed and come out like new.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 08:58:26 PM »
I had a few of the same issues on a 550 a fair few years ago the cracked brake mounting on the fork lower might be weldable but I just replaced mine as a replacement was cheap at the time though I did ride it like that for a bit. I cannot recall what i did to resolve the disk alignment for twin disking - think I just replaced filed a light champher onto the pads but I did have piles of comstars and disks off a job lot of comstars around so could mix and match a lot. I think nowadays I would look at taking the hub back 2 mm on the disk seat but that requires quite a big lathe as it is not possible to safely dismantle a comstar wheel and rebuild it.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 10:11:04 PM »
I lied, one more question .  Is this the original brake master or has it been replaced to run the dual front disks?

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 10:13:06 PM »
I have some fork cases that has the same cracked thread. Not sure if it is the left or right one that has the damage. Will have a look tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks Trigger, that'd be much appreciated.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal