Author Topic: Replacement bars?  (Read 3591 times)

bike-pusher

Replacement bars?
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:37:03 AM »
If one were considering buying a US-spec SOHC CB750, and wanted to replace the US cowhorn bars with UK-spec ones (K6, etc), where would one start looking?  Pattern items quite acceptable.  Dave Silver doesn't seem to list them, and someone must make good quality replicas, I'd have thought?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement bars?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 12:21:49 PM »
I.E. spec 400/4 bars will fit, I had a set on my 750K2 & 750F1. They are easily available from DSS, fit fine, and are about half an inch narrower than original 750F1 bars, internal cables etc. Incidentally, the 400/4 switchgear also fits 750F1

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 12:44:06 PM »
I think they are pretty rare. I got got a NOS set spare with my 750K0 and sold them BIN for 30GBP, never sold anything as quickly on eBay, probably less than an hour after listing.
I tend to buy most stuff from eBay Germany now, too many bad deals in the UK. You could ask this guy, he speaks really good English and you couldn't wish for a more genuine trader. He usually list things BIN and best offer (bit like DK) As he says 'rubbish goes straight into the skip' His name is Frank.

http://stores.ebay.de/jap2wheelz?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Cheers .. AshD
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:45:41 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 01:06:44 PM »
I don't remember anybody doing pattern bars with the holes for the wires and they all seemed thinner than Honda ones so to my mind the only safe way to use pattern is cut/notch the switches to bring the wires externat

bike-pusher

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 01:08:34 PM »
SOHC CB750 runs wiring through the bars?  My F2 doesn't.  Hm.  Oh, well, I have plenty of 400F bars, so they might do the trick.  I wanted something with a sloight raise, though, but not as drastic as the US cowhorns.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 01:27:22 PM »
UKPete will know .. Where are you Pete??

Bike-pusher.
as you are a newbie on here you may be interested in my dropbox collection of 750 parts/service manuals. some F2 stuff in there as well as earlier models.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anpzqn2r55f1o9k/CB750%20Mega%20Parts%20Service%20and%20More.pdf

cheers ...Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

bike-pusher

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »
Link doesn't work.

I've got a decent amount of CB750 tech stuff, as it happens.  Haynes BOL and I think a Clymer, too - I'll have to check in my large shelf of manuals.... 

It's years since I messed with CB750s.  I remember you can't remove the head with the engine in the frame.  And I think that the camchain adjustment is done with the engine not running - undo locknut, slacken off adjuster bolt, re-tighten both....  At least I've got a set of vacuum gauges - anyone with an SOHC Four soon learns to use those.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Replacement bars?
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »
DSS do a UK spec bar for the CB750 k2 that works Ok to convert the US spec bikes. i've converted by brown K2 no problem and routing for the wiring within the bars work well. Think you may be bidding on my Green K4 on ebay at the moment?...

bike-pusher

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »
Jamesh, I am indeed.  He's tried to sell it a number of times, and we've corresponded.  I think his reserve is around £6,000, which is too high IMHO - well, he's never sold it anyway, and so with a bit of prodding he might get the message.

The position I like to be in is highest bidder, and it still didn't meet reserve.  Then you can start some serious talking.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »
Think you mis-read my message. It's MY BIKE you're bidding on :-)....don't need any prodding to be honest...and you're miles off on what my reserve is... J

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
James, I hope someone is learning ;) 2+2 is not that hard.

bike-pusher

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »
Oh, excellent.  Well, you'll remember we had a chat.  So I've forgotten what the reserve was, anyway....

Yes, I should have twigged from the posting handle, really  ;)    EDIT:  Bloody kitten has just walked across the keyboard...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:56:28 PM by bike-pusher »

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 05:03:56 PM »
Ha ha that's fine. I think it was a different bike we had a chat about a while back. Anyway, let's see how it goes...give me a call if you want a chat. Will be selling a couple of my bikes shortly.

bike-pusher

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »
Well, I think your K might make a nice pair to my F2.  I'm sure you were selling a K before.  Saw your RE5, as well, but I'm not daft enough to want one of those.  :-*   Let's see what happens with the auction, anyway.

EDIT:  so it's timed out at £4300-odd.  Strange.  That's certainly less than it should fetch, and less than I'd pay for it.  I wonder why nobody's interested? Can't simply be because it's a US import.  And I'm still, erm, thinking....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:06:05 PM by bike-pusher »

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Replacement bars?
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
EDIT:  so it's timed out at £4300-odd.  Strange.  That's certainly less than it should fetch, and less than I'd pay for it.  I wonder why nobody's interested? Can't simply be because it's a US import.  And I'm still, erm, thinking....
[/quote]

Probably time of the year to be honest.

Drop me a Pm with your number and I'll give you a call tomorrow to see if we can put something together? Thanks, James.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal