Author Topic: Why don't people listen to good advice?  (Read 1788 times)

bike-pusher

Why don't people listen to good advice?
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
Sold a very nice stock engine and set of carbs to a poor sod who bought a so-called "restored" 400F which cost him £3500 and which looks nice but is a dog.  I think I referred to it elsewhere.

Anyway, I recommended he just drop the lump into his existing chassis, but no, he wanted to keep the original engine number, and intended to take the top end off my engine, and transplant it onto his.  Because his bike would only do 50mph flat out.

So the transplant was done by his mechanic.  And he's just phoned me.  Now it does 70mph - well, that's an improvement - but a knock from the bottom end has just surfaced.  Wasn't there before.  I'm willing to bet his mechanic has buggered up an oilway or something in transplanting the head.

So now he is going to have his mechanic remove the engine, replace the head on the lump he bought from me, and put that engine in.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:29:27 PM by bike-pusher »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't people listen to good advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 03:23:21 PM »
Sold a very nice stock engine and set of carbs to a poor sod who bought a so-called "restored" 400F which cost him £3500 and which looks nice but is a dog.  I think I referred to it elsewhere.

Anyway, I recommended he just drop the lump into his existing chassis, but no, he wanted to keep the original engine number, and intended to take the top end off my engine, and transplant it onto his.  Because his bike would only do 50mph flat out.

So the transplant was done by his mechanic.  And he's just phoned me.  Now it does 70mph - well, that's an improvement - but a knock from the bottom end has jus surfaced.  Wasn't there before.  I'm willing to bet his mechanic has buggered up an oilway or something in transplanting the head.

So now he is going to have his mechanic remove the engine, replace the head on the lump he bought from me, and put that engine in.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

I feel for you Neil. That's why I stick to Industrial Electronics to earn a crust. Anything to do with Joe Public can be a real pain with a few spoiling it for the mainly good guys. You will notice that DK never really give you any info on the engines they sell other than 'left standing so probably weather seized' 'No attempt to start it'. They don't even give a mileage even though they must usually have a rough idea from the bikes speedo and general condition. Please keep at it though, we need decent breakers for our bikes with honest descriptions like yours.

Cheers ..Ash

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

bike-pusher

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »
I can't think why he took this route.  I told him several times: "You've been sold a pup.  This engine is a good engine.  You've heard it run.  Don't mess about - just do a complete engine swap, and then if you want to find out what was wrong with your old engine, you can do so at your leisure."

But no, he decided to cannibalise the two and now he has *two* engines that aren't running properly.

If, after his mechanic has finished replacing everything he removed, the engine that I sold him turns out to have "issues", I shall be polite but fairly direct: no refunds whatsoever.

Luckily, it wasn't an eBay sale, so there's no comeback there.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
You just cant help some brain deads,they have to learn the hard way stay away from them do yerself a favour
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »
On a positive note. These engines probably weren't as bad as he thought. Sound just like my bike when I first had it o the road. You may remember i documented it on here. Wouldn't do more than 50. Engine knocking like a bastard. The speed was down to carb issues and the knocking down to knackered clutch basket rubbers. Perhaps it should have concentrated on fettling and fault finding.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal