Author Topic: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page  (Read 2833 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »
On his Facebook site DSS was lamenting that there are no longer large stashes of NOS parts to be had from the Main Dealers trying to offload old parts:

Someone commented:
Honda Blackbird: I've used you for a long time but nowadays find your prices very close or the same as those of main dealers, sadly. Only the postage is cheaper. How about offering a loyalty card or something with 10% off for regular customers?

Our sentiments too !!

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:38:07 PM »
I can get some sort of discount or freebie were ever I go but try as I might I can't get anything at DSS.

Mick 
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 12:30:34 AM »
Yep same here...

bike-pusher

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:25:21 AM »
He's had a run of nearly three decades at it, and the motorcycle industry's parts distribution business model has completely changed since he started.  I'd say he's done fairly well, and now has to start thinking hard what he should do next.

I'd suggest more replica parts, but they have to be of decent quality, and obviously the production runs will be much shorter so the unit costs can't be amortised over tens of thousands of bikes.

I foresee lots of calculator button-pushing in his future.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 07:48:20 AM »
This is what he posted:

"It is fair to say, it ain't what it used to be. On my way to Heathrow for another US trip, I stopped by at a couple of long standing Honda dealers to see if they had old stock parts that they wanted to sell. What years ago would be lorry and van loads has now become car boot fulls. Thankfully, DSS is no longer dependent on this type of business, when it first started, that is all it did."
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »
This is what he posted:

"It is fair to say, it ain't what it used to be. On my way to Heathrow for another US trip, I stopped by at a couple of long standing Honda dealers to see if they had old stock parts that they wanted to sell. What years ago would be lorry and van loads has now become car boot fulls. Thankfully, DSS is no longer dependent on this type of business, when it first started, that is all it did."

To be fair to him he is investing in getting (from all reports I have heard) decent pattern parts made for the 400/4 and CX500 at least. I remember when people were in bidding wars on eBay for decent UK 400/4 rear mudguards &  paying absolutely silly money, at least he has put a stop to that. Pity he won't stock more Yamiya/PMC parts though and I think Saisei-Europe are going to pick up a lot of business there, which was ripe for him to pick up. well at least another 'David' will be involved ;)

Cheers ...AshD
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:59:53 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 08:10:51 AM »
Good point Ash. I would imagine the tooling costs alone for a set of hm341's must be into six figures - a serious investment on his part. Hopefully they hurry up and start making them again...

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 08:38:41 AM »
The cost is not that great if a tool firm has a Mandrel bender, Press and a wielding set up . The internal parts are simple. The biggest cost would be the molds for the press and chroming but, it is all down to the unit production costs and the sales. I have had meetings with a tool firm about the production of many parts. The problem i have found in the UK is most firms will not take on a small job.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:23:15 AM »
DS prices have not been particularly cheap for a good few years, just look at what he had to fund a museum, pattern part investment, 400/4 restoration progame and USA branch to name a few, he has evolved a large business from reasonable priced parts, now he has all this to fund the prices are average to Damn  right high, but  hey we still need him and continue to use him
Cmsl prices are even dearer
Pete

bike-pusher

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 12:22:05 PM »
Swings and roundabouts, mind - DS still has some bargains.  I run a Honda CB two Fifty as a town/commuter bike, and the one I bought had a decaying exhaust (Balance pipe: usual thing).  Motad 2-1 was something like £275.

DS was (still is) offering OE replacements at £89+VAT per side.  I'm tempted to lay in a second set and just keep it in the attic, but the Two Fifty is never going to be a desirable classic so who'd want to buy a system in 10-20 years is a moot point.....

Butr basically, it's supply & demand.  There are lots of people restoring SOHC fours, especially the 400, and there simply aren't many good parts extant.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
The cost is not that great if a tool firm has a Mandrel bender, Press and a wielding set up . The internal parts are simple. The biggest cost would be the molds for the press and chroming but, it is all down to the unit production costs and the sales. I have had meetings with a tool firm about the production of many parts. The problem i have found in the UK is most firms will not take on a small job.

Here is the tooling used to manufacture the repro HM341's

cheers .. Ash

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 05:23:46 PM »
I would agree with the 1st post (10% discount for regular customer), I have been buying from DSS for 7 years, but I do not think its going to happen!

This year I have bought NOS parts from cmsnl.com with free delivery (spend over 500 Euro's)
and recently from japan.webike.net retro Honda parts free delivery (spend over 300 GBP)

Spend £150+ for free UK delivery at DSS...?

Alan

Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »
I forgot about your 1100 Al weren't you going to review it for us. ;)

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »
Hi Mick,

I can't recall the review on this site, plenty info on the USA site. www.CB1100forum.com

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 06:51:59 PM »
Free post in your dreams!!!!
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal