Author Topic: Honda CR85R OIL IN CRANKCASE  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Honda CR85R OIL IN CRANKCASE
« on: September 16, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »
Hi guys, this makes me feel really old, my grandson has a CR85R (2006) and recently had problems with it, I have never worked on 2 strokes before but gave in to family pressure and had a look at it. Pulling the head and barrel off revealed the problem, the piston ring had a chip missing, this must have got trapped between the piston and barrel and took a chunk out of the piston, the coating (chrome) on the barrel is very worn by the exhaust area. This is all fixable and is no problem but I turned the engine over the other day and the crankcase must have a level of oil in it, is this normal ? should it be drained periodically ? the bike runs on a 2 stroke mix so presumably the oil builds up, should I leave it ?

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Honda CR85R OIL IN CRANKCASE
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:42:12 PM »
Long time since I've played with a 2 stroke, last time was more than 30 years ago when I was given a T500 Suzuki. As far as I can remember, 2 strokes run a "total loss" lubrication system in the engine. Therefore, any oil left in the crankcases is almost certainly from the gearbox, which means a crankshaft seal has failed, and replacing one of those is a lot of hassle! :'(
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »
is there a lot of oil?

has it been stood idle ?
could it be leaking from the carb?

does it use petrol-oil mix? or oil pumped from a tank into the inlet port?

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »
is there a lot of oil?

has it been stood idle ?
could it be leaking from the carb?

does it use petrol-oil mix? or oil pumped from a tank into the inlet port?
There must be quite a bit of oil as the crank is dipping in it, the bike was not standing for any length of time and the carb had been removed, and it is petrol/oil mix.
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »
Long time since I've played with a 2 stroke, last time was more than 30 years ago when I was given a T500 Suzuki. As far as I can remember, 2 strokes run a "total loss" lubrication system in the engine. Therefore, any oil left in the crankcases is almost certainly from the gearbox, which means a crankshaft seal has failed, and replacing one of those is a lot of hassle! :'(

Thanks for the reply a crankshaft seal was my first conclusion as the engine has recently been apart for a very expensive rebuild by a friend of the daughters, but I was hoping to be very wrong and there would be a simple (cheap) explanation.

Cheers

Dennis

1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »
Sounds like it leaked through the carb, good job you didn't kick it over as if it was transfered to the top a bent conrod ensues----lots of Suzi GT250's died that way

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal