Author Topic: On A budget Rebuild cb750  (Read 21845 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: On A budget Rebuild cb750
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »
On another thought do not buy a bike unless its complete frackin nightmare building it from bits and i have the experience
So if thats your way ask me and I will tell you.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »
On another thought do not buy a bike unless its complete frackin nightmare building it from bits and i have the experience
So if thats your way ask me and I will tell you.
Cheers
Bitsa

Bigger the nightmare the better. Love the challenge.
Yak is a Bos grunniens, a type of buffalo found in Mongolia.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:03:10 PM by Trigger »

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2014, 09:10:40 PM »
Yeah me too Trig but must be my age and a knackered body Its starting to get to me but still desire the satisfaction on the results.The second one has fought me all the way I curse it and get a result then move on to the next problem as where the other one stripped it down cleaned it painted it and no problems.I suppose its one off, of the challenges of life who knows?Still love it
Cheers
Ralph
Never heard of that
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »
A mate came round today welded a 4mm block on both sides and now the dogs.All that's left to do is road test and fix the starter motor which I am in no rush to do kicks fine.One thing though
the clutch noise ain't normal to me it makes a lovely whirring noise and when you pull in the lever oh so quite.When I rebuilt it I remember the clutch had extra washers real strong springs and when I asked at my breakers about it all he said was much better that way put it back as you found it.Was there a clutch mod kit about in those days?One other thing does the starter motor come out with carbs on don't remember?
Cheers All
Bitsa
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:41:51 PM by Bitsa »

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »
Sorry Bitsa can't remember either its one of those things you do once and then forget.
Good to know your not going to whack the tank now still seems a bit strange though

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2014, 07:00:56 PM »
Starter motor DOES come out with the carbs on. Somebody put a Honda bulletin on here some time back about a clutch mod for the early K's, think it was Ash or Bryan, but I didn't take much notice of it as my F1 would have been modified in the factory. ::)
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2014, 08:11:28 PM »
Thanks guys
when its friggin cold will have a go at it.
Yeah weird with the steering stop but now its exactly like my other one cant quite get my sausage fingers through the gap so well happy now
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2014, 07:49:41 AM »
Starter will come out with the carbs on but the alternator has to come off as the little sproket falls down, The clutch mod was to fit the double steel plate from a wing)NLA NEW) and the bulletins are all on the US site somewhere

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
Thanks Bryan but are you sure about the reduction gear falling down as its held in place with a steel pin/tube?
Cheers
Bitsa
With you on the bad back bit no painkiller works for me

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2014, 10:01:17 AM »
Think the cold may have got to Bryan, I have NEVER had an issue taking the starter motor out of a 750 leaving the alternator alone. I know on some Honda twins it can be an issue, as there is a chain from the starter motor to the crank, but no such hassle with the 750's :))
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2014, 10:20:49 AM »
Thanks Hairygit that's what I thought
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2014, 04:02:20 PM »
Sorry peeps, I was COOOOLD and tired after a another 14 hour night and was thinking of the smaller chain driven starters, 450/500?, plus the 23/500 co-codamol were kicking in.

If a starter does not turn try using jump leads direct to starter casing and terminal first, if it still don't work its normaly brushes and a clean but with enough decent used ones out there that aint always worth it as you have to solder the brush braids if my memory is back working

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2014, 06:54:09 PM »
No worries Bryan I cant remember whats for dinner and the olde lady told me this morning mate.Its probably the bushes as when it sat for 2 years in a jig tryed to get the oil to go around it span good for 10 mins then got less and less and now just clicks
Cheers
Bitsa

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2014, 07:13:49 PM »
Update on the starter motor with good advice from good olde or he thinks not so old Trigger did what he suggested and it now spins like a new motor.Took his advice as never had to replace or repair one of these been lucky.So nearly all done and will have it on the road b4 my 60Th just needs a ride to make sure but its shite weather now.
Thanks for everyones advice
Bitsa

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »
Update on the starter motor with good advice from good olde or he thinks not so old Trigger did what he suggested and it now spins like a new motor.Took his advice as never had to replace or repair one of these been lucky.So nearly all done and will have it on the road b4 my 60Th just needs a ride to make sure but its shite weather now.
Thanks for everyones advice
Bitsa

Well that saves me lugging one to he post office and it breaking the scales. I told you it was easy ::) ;D 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal