Author Topic: Hope this is not a trend  (Read 2962 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Hope this is not a trend
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »
Contacted Member UKROBK7 (CB750K7 restorer) , who was a regular on here a while back  and I helped out with some little parts from my 'scrapper' and also Jock 'BobTheBuilder' who was restoring a UK 750K0 he got as a project off eBay. Both of them sold their bikes once restored, as the bikes were too big /scary for today's roads/wifey pressure. Bob bought a 'sloper' CD175 last time I contacted him and Rob told me yesterday he bought a kit car. Hope this is not a trend !!

Would love to own a sloper myself again  some day as I have fond memories of mine (metallic grey) but I wouldn't entertain it unless I found some NOS pipes first, which isn't going to happen I don't think.

Cheers .. Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
Re: Hope this is not a trend
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »
I think 'Bob' sold the K0 and then his  'sloper' on ebay a few months ago, reasons not known. I'm currently restoring a 'sloper' original colour (flamboyant blue poly-chromatic finish)...Honda ad if it will load up from Motorcycle Mechanics Dec 1967
As you say Ash the original exhausts would be difficult to source, but for me its a trip down memory lane, 1st bike and all that!

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »
I think 'Bob' sold the K0 and then his  'sloper' on ebay a few months ago, reasons not known. I'm currently restoring a 'sloper' original colour (flamboyant blue poly-chromatic finish)...Honda ad if it will load up from Motorcycle Mechanics Dec 1967
As you say Ash the original exhausts would be difficult to source, but for me its a trip down memory lane, 1st bike and all that!

Alan

Mine was my second bike after a C200 Honda 90 sports. Left it stood for a while when I went off to Uni, came back and started it up and it blew big holes in the silencers. Eventually fitted SS125 pipes but these are just as rare now. Liked the blue better than the grey I must admit. Happy days.

Cheers for the advert BTW.... Ash

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
I had a lovely cd175 in that beautiful metalic blue, i have an old picture somewhere if i find it i will scan and post
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »
Got this from Jock (Bob the Builder)

Hi Ash,
Nice surprise to hear from you have not been on the forum  much but noticed you had a few interesting posts, sold the Sloper without doing anything to it just never got into it but got a Honda CA  77 dream now and just trying to get it  road worthy, then going to strip it down in winter and do all the painting and chrome and whatever else needs done, so if you have  any info on this one would be glad of all help. What are you into now?

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 01:31:29 AM »
That ad great... for 1969 the wording very ... 'modern'.

Is that "159 gns" the price? If not, then what is it?

Ok, & the biggest dumb question from this troglodyte .... why is the bike known as a 'Sloper'

Ta,
Simon.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 07:14:03 AM »
That ad great... for 1969 the wording very ... 'modern'.

Is that "159 gns" the price? If not, then what is it?

Ok, & the biggest dumb question from this troglodyte .... why is the bike known as a 'Sloper'

Ta,
Simon.
Yes 159 Guineas for 17 horses  ;D, Sloper means the cylinders slope forward slightly CW the later bike where they were vertical. mine had two little dimples in the rear of the tank where the PO said he had an accident and landed with his nuts on the tank  ::) You can just make them out on this photo. The only problem I had with that bike was the auto-advance mechanism disintegrated.. left me stranded at Ponteland college in Northumberland in thick snow, never heard of that on a Honda before. Note the 'transition' silencers fitted between the standard ones blowing out and fitting SS125 ones. Local cops never liked them much :-[ What do you expect for a fiver!

Oh and it went through a period of sooting up the plugs so I used  to carry a plug spanner around with me, not the Honda one, one with a loop of bar attached to it. Left it in my jacket pocket when I went to a Bowie concert at Brid. Spa in 1973 and the doorman confiscated it, said it constituted a dangerous weapon!
In the advert it talks about 'instruments' but mine only had a speedo.
Cheers ... Ash [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:33:19 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »
For Ash & Simon...the CD175 instruments...?

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »
The flairs are pretty cool as well, I think we should be made to wear them to ride any bikes of that era now ;-)

Wasn't the laverda 750 a copy (just the look of it) of the Honda sloper engines? think i read that somewhere but don't know if it's true.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 05:54:14 PM »
That speddo looks familiar, had one like that in a box of oldbike bits given to me by an old friend. One day I must dig all those old bits out and see if any can be re united with owners of the right bikes. Same story with a load of old headlights - many Nos. Styling wise several are very early 70s.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 06:13:34 AM »
Ah... thanks Ash.  The implication from 'Sloper' I guess is that previous models likely had vertical pot(s)...

My grandad is no longer around... but what on earth were 'Guineas' all about!! Why couldn't the price be £166 19s... or even £167? (I was brug up abroad (Africa) & never really used the old coinage) (& so also 'missed out' on the 60's British biking scene)

Enjoy the recounting of personal memories... and wish I'd been better at keeping old photos of my various bikes back in the 70's.... it was never about the 'machine' per se, but rather what we were up to in that stage of our lives.

Memories eh. Great!

S
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 06:21:53 AM by Lobo »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 12:12:07 PM »
Guineas are or were up until quite recently still in use at horse sales, I remember about 15 years ago going to a sale with my mum to buy dad a Welsh cob and all the bidding was in guineas. Made keeping track of the actual total bit was a bit of a headache, first covert to £sterling, then add buyers premium, tax etc. I think the price of the sheep we sold at the last sale might have been done this way too, though I wasn't there for that.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal