Author Topic: Adjusting float height cb550 f2  (Read 8196 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Adjusting float height cb550 f2
« on: October 03, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »
Before I go making a bunch of adjustments, I'm hoping the experts out there clarify a few things.  I'm ready to set the float heights on my carbs, 22mm from top of floats to mounting surface of the carb.  Problem I have is that the floats I have are a rounded top, whereas what I see in my haynes manual have a flat top.  If I measure 22mm to the top of the rounded surface, it seems like these floats have to move in by nearly 10mm, which doesn't seem right.  However, if I measure to where the line at which the rounded top begins, they're pretty close. Is this where I measure to?
Hope you can see what I mean in the pictures.
Can anyone advise?

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Adjusting float height cb550 f2
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »
My advise: don't "adjust" anything. Float heights are always right in my experience unless PO messed with them (this ofcourse after reading "interesting stuff" in manuals). My floats are in there for over 130.000 kms and have never needed adjustment. BTW, this floattang bending has become epidemic in the International site. Please don't spread it here.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:19:21 PM by deltarider »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:14:40 PM »
I can not comment at the moment. Just came out a bar and on my way to a club. Tomorrow!

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
Trig
So you do like the finer things of life
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 08:59:42 PM »
Bitsa,
I would not call it that. In a bar in Thessaloniki with a Turkish guy that has a CB750K1 and he wants the bike stripped, engine re-built and the frame stoved but, wants the rest of the bike kept as it is. Business as normal ;) 

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 02:56:41 PM »
I can not comment at the moment. Just came out a bar and on my way to a club. Tomorrow!
I look forward to the wisdom, I'm a bit confused!

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 03:27:13 PM »
The measurement is taken from the top of the floats, so the upper most surface, round or not.

Also the measurement is taken with the floats hanging down not upside down like you have them. The idea is that when they reach the specified level it should just shut the fuel flow off, there is a few ways of doing this, you can adapt a float bowl lower drain screw to use a small piece of plastic piping which you mark at the correct height, switch the fuel on and you can see the level of the fuel in the chamber by holding the piping against the outside of it, harder to explain than to do. Or you used to be able to buy perspex float bowls which were marked. Very easy to see what height the fuel was at with those but I haven't seen those for some years now.

Float height can have a lot of effect on the bikes running if set incorrectly, however once set they very rarely go out of adjustment in my experience.
I thought the measurement was taken when the float tang was just touching but not depressing the valve pin?
I've seen a YouTube video of someone using the clear tube method to set fuel level on a carb from a KTM...

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »
Have you cracked MR T ? I stand the carbs up on there ends to do the float height.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »
Have you cracked MR T ? I stand the carbs up on there ends to do the float height.
I laid them on their sides, so that none of the weight of he float depressed the needle.  Then I adjusted to 22mm, measured from top of the float to the carb bowl mounting surface.  Hope its right?!?

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 07:59:30 PM »
This might help
http://www.salocal.com/sohc/tech/carb/asmpg_mgs/flthgt.htm

Cheers

Den
Thanks spitfire!  I found that article too, as far as I can tell, I've done it right. 

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »
I suspect I will be doing this soon, the one bit of my bike that I suspect caused a few issues in its last few years on the road, and one job I have not yet got to grips with. I hate carbs (well working on them)
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 10:44:50 PM »
I suspect I will be doing this soon, the one bit of my bike that I suspect caused a few issues in its last few years on the road, and one job I have not yet got to grips with. I hate carbs (well working on them)
Well I have no idea if I've gotten to grips with it either, but it's the first bike related job I've ever done... hope they work!  Everyone here has been amazingly helpful, thanks to all for the responses!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal