Author Topic: Starting the engine  (Read 31796 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Starting the engine
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2015, 04:08:49 PM »
Hi El_burro,... and sorry fellas... just seen two more posts since I started penning this... but I'll be darned if I delete it!!!

Forget the 'T' mark, its irrelevant in terms of what you're trying to achieve... it's simply an indicator that the associated pistons are at TDC (top dead centre).
What you're only concerned with is the 'F' (firing) mark, as the spark actually fires here at idle, ie a few degrees before TDC.

So, and IMPORTANT!!!  as the F mark sweeps clockwise past the index mark, AT THIS PRECISE point the associated points begin to OPEN... ie, if you have that fag paper gripped in them... it will release here.

To recap then...

(1) ignoring all markings / indexes, just rotate the crankshaft to whatever position opens the 1/4 point widest. Now via the 1/4 POINTS individual backplate, adjust this gap to 0.012-0.016 ".... OR 0.3-0.4mm

(2) Now you can turn the crankshaft clockwise to align the index & F 1:4.....

(3) Now rotate the whole points backplate (3 screws need loosening) .... fiddling it forward & backwards to just get that sweet spot where it releases the fag paper at the F 1:4
(If you can't achieve this rotational position there is something fundamentally wrong.)

(4) Rotate the crankshaft clockwise, ... and double check the fag paper releases precisely as the F 1:4 sweeps past the index mark.
If not repeat from step 2 above.

(5) Rotate the crankshaft to any position that opens breakers 2:3 to their widest position, and set these to 0.012-0.016" etc

(6) Rotate the crankshaft to align the F 2:3 index, and now move the MINI backplate of those points so that they JUST RELEASE the fag paper here.... fiddley.. will take a few goes to get it right.

(7) Rotate the crankshaft clockwise, ... and double check the fag paper releases precisely as the F 2:3 sweeps past the index mark.

I apologise to be repeating, but you do seem a little confused as to their sequence. Can I suggest you do use (eg) fag paper.... for now it's a whole lot simpler than extra wires.... and will be fine in terms of just getting the engine to run.

Oh, and yup, whilst messing with the points you would expect to see the odd spark between them...

Simon
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:05:13 AM by Lobo »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2015, 04:09:51 PM »
I may be wrong but I can't see the 400 mech stopping you from running the engine.....it may have a different state of advance that will affect good running but should be ok to run the motor and check it out......something to correct with the right part later during rebuild I guess.

It looks as though you are steadily getting there as you've been through the coils/feeds/switches etc, there must be a point at which you've eliminated most things.....bit of a crash course in ignition systems really.....and all worth it when it fires.

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »
FINALLY.
I HAVE SPARKS ON THE PLUGS.
thanks indeed for your support, now what is the next step.
Tomorrow ill put the plugs and try to fire it up.

Hopefully it wont take another week.

Thank you.
El__burro

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2015, 06:08:31 PM »
Great news.  What was the problem?
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2015, 06:15:47 PM »
A bit of everything.
Mainly i was trying to get the points to be opened at the proper gap af the F mark.
Eventually went back through all your answers and set it right.
Eventually there'll be more questions tomorrow.
Thanks a lot

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2015, 07:09:32 PM »
Yay, at least you're getting somewhere and nice to get some sparks out of it....well done.

Next step is to make absolutley sure that you have established a good oil supply to the motor/pump/cam etc....has it got the oil light going?

If you are confident it's ok then it would be worth trying it to see if it'll fire.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »
Well done you. I felt like shedding a tear for you at times. I have been watching this post with interest, only understanding the very, very basics of it due to my limited knowledge but I have learnt an awful lot, thanks  :-* :-*
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2015, 07:54:33 PM »
Well done for sticking at it persistence pays off.  :D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »
Thanks, never give up. As long as you all don't give up on me.
Oil light is off but having drained all the oil via the plug in the sump, I better check that properly.
Also I need to find a way to feed the fuel.

Thanks
El__burro

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2015, 08:17:57 PM »
Fuel feed, i've always used a 150ml syringe outer case stuck down the pipe to the carbs as you can fill the float bowls via this and when it's running you can see the level going down.....use elastic band to hold it vertically on the main frame tube.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2015, 08:21:37 PM »
Are we working on hairdryers or something? ;) ;) elastic bands really?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2015, 08:31:38 PM »
Well done you. I felt like shedding a tear for you at times. I have been watching this post with interest, only understanding the very, very basics of it due to my limited knowledge but I have learnt an awful lot, thanks  :-* :-*

Shed a tear? someone get me a bucket ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2015, 08:47:31 PM »

Oh do shut up Trigger, I would cry for you to  ;D ;D ;D I am a sensitive soul and feel others pain and frustration  :'( :'( :'( :P :P :P
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2015, 08:53:35 PM »

Oh do shut up Trigger, I would cry for you to  ;D ;D ;D I am a sensitive soul and feel others pain and frustration  :'( :'( :'( :P :P :P

I sensitive nurse ? Did not think there was such a thing ;)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
Elastic bands, yep I couldn't think of anything proppa to use  ;D not like those things real mechanics have nowadays like a hospital drip to feed petrol in.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal