Author Topic: How far to go??  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
How far to go??
« on: October 06, 2014, 06:50:19 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous but I would never ride it again.Would have to put a Michael Jackson tent over it
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: How far to go??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 07:01:26 PM »
Yes I know, I moved my K0 tank (same candy red) around in my loft to get to a bunk bed frame yesterday and it was like handling a new born child... frightened not to drop it.

Cheers ... Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
Is that yours bitsa??

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 09:08:25 PM »
WOW! That is beautiful :o.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:11:57 AM »
James
No fraid not you would not see it for the tent I would have over it,Saw it on facebook
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 07:00:33 AM »
Imaculate finish, , much cleaner than when it left the factory
pete

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 11:45:46 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous but I would never ride it again.Would have to put a Michael Jackson tent over it
Cheers
Bitsa

lovely bike,it will be put in a glass case,and only brought out when the value is over £100K,

my personal choice is to use all machines,use in a totally natural way,

my other love is aviation,but the propeller era,V12's Rotary,Radials,even H24 Sabres,

if you ever get to a Museum called Shuttleworth,that is wonderful,such atmosphere,and most are flying condition,

go to Hendon,the aircraft look lovely,but very static,never to fly again,imprisoned  in a gilded cage,

sorry about my rant,

John
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
Hey john my sandcast is going to be a glass cage bike, i want it to admire and stay new looking however my.69 ko which is virtually the same bike will be a Sunday rider
I love show bikes rat bikes and tidy runners I think there is a place for them all,
Pete
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:46:34 PM by UK Pete »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 01:47:38 PM »
Hi John,

Sure you know, but it ain't so easy with aircraft... they have a hard limit on their cycles / flight hours; and once at this, essentially, it's game over. And these regs are there for a good reason..
(just hope the bloody DVLA don't get wind of this)

So, at the end of their flying lives there is a simple choice of destroying them, OR sticking them in a glass case for us all to enjoy. UNLESS of course you have access to £Ms; ie cash is no object. Point is I guess, little point in getting upset (rant!)....

Just a couple of months ago had a very full day at Duxford... fantastic, including a 40 min ride in an old Dragon Rapide... with my 89 yr old dad who produced a pic of same aircraft on his 1st trip in it back in the '40s. Needless to say he got the prime seat... (well, not the pilot's)

Anyways... I WANT the CB750 above, and would happily install it in my lounge having deleted the missus'es chair!

Simon.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »
For me, wash and wax once a week, maybe more in winter, chuck oil and grease over it liberaly, basically do a bit to preserve, and ride it, anything more would impair my enjoyment of the vehicle. I even went as far as to do a wire brush off anything loose and repaint with a brush over powdercoat on my rebuild to avoid the temptation of getting bogged down in a restoration which could stop the bike seeing use for another year if I started restoring with the inevitable extra jobs, and costs. Instead the rusty wheels will get a good inspection, and rub down to give back some shine, the whole thing will get re greased bearings unless like the headstock ones they are actually faulty, and everything will just be serviced. Some of the best biking memories I have on my 500/4 would never have come about if I was precious about maybe dammaging the paint by carrying spare engines / whole bikes accross the country. Do enough miles and the paint rubs off the tank where your knees touch, things wear out, but somehow that just makes my like the bike more. I rode a mates 4 piper 750/4 sohc back for him when he'd bought it down south Wales once. The fact it was very valuable and in lovely condition rather spoilt the enjoyment for me, the 750 is also too big for me a tad. I like to look at immaculate examples too but woul not want to own one. At shows I often spend longer looking at well used, mostly original vehicles, often they feature small modifications which make them a wee bit easier to live with, the more subtle the better.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
Love the bit about chucking out the olde lady's chair.Here we a dining room which we use once a year with just a bloody great awful table in it.If I had my way bin the table store my bikes in it.
Cheers
Bitsa

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »
It's when you find yourself looking for "large garage with living accomodation attatched" that you know you're in trouble.

I'd love a flight in one of those Dragon Rapides Simon, I bet that was a brilliant day out.

I'm not far from Brooklands track and museum and they have alot of aero exhibits there along with historic cars all of which I try to indoctrinate my son with. Nothing flying but you are allowed to crawl around in alot of old stuff and they have a Concorde there too.

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 12:29:19 AM »
It's when you find yourself looking for "large garage with living accomodation attatched" that you know you're in trouble.

I'd love a flight in one of those Dragon Rapides Simon, I bet that was a brilliant day out.

I'm not far from Brooklands track and museum and they have alot of aero exhibits there along with historic cars all of which I try to indoctrinate my son with. Nothing flying but you are allowed to crawl around in alot of old stuff and they have a Concorde there too.

Brooklands,home of the banked track,and Vickers aviation,the Wellington ,Barnes Wallis designed along with the Dam buster bouncing bomb,lastly the VC-10,
see how close bike and aircraft are,

all I hope is all the perfect restored  sandcasts,and KO's get a chance to spin their wheels on tarmac,and under their own power,

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 07:19:56 AM »
I have a flight in a Pitts Special coming up. I've heard everyone is sick .
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »
I have a flight in a Pitts Special coming up. I've heard everyone is sick .

when I was doing my flying at Glos/Staverton airfield ,there was one guy with a super Pitts,everyone used to take time to watch his
departures ,very eye opening,-)))

accelerate at full power down the runway,then lift off to about 10ft,still accelerating.then pull back on the stick and he shot up like a rocket to about 2,000ft,quick roll off the top and away !!

very impressive,

you enjoy,might be worthwhile going for a basic aerobatic flight a week or so before,so you can get used to it,

John,

PS,I envy you-)))

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal