Author Topic: Gearbox removal  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Boggieman

• View Profile
Gearbox removal
« on: October 15, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »
Hi all,
I need the help of the assembled knowledgeable people on this here forum.
At my last race meeting of the year, the 400 kept jumping out of 4th gear, when under hard acceleration, back into 3rd.
Is this a known issue, and if so does it mean gearbox out to rectify.
Next question would be, is this a difficult job? i.e. does the engine have to come out 1st?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Ian

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Gearbox removal
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:19:26 PM »
If this occurs only under hard acceleration it could be down to worn selector components, which are outside the main crankcases and accessible with the engine in - so that would be my first thing to check.  All of that mechanism has to removed anyway if you end up having to strip the whole thing.  Worst case would be that the dogs on the gears themselves have got rounded over and spit themselves out of contact under acceleration.  If that proves to be the case, then unfortunately it is an engine out, complete strip and rebuild, with all the costs of gaskets, seals etc. even if everything else, other than a couple of gears is good.  You don't need many special tools, just the rotor removal tool and a special socket for the clutch centre nut, but these are precision built units and care is needed.

Hope this helps
Ian

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »
Worst case is a strip down but you do not have to take the top end off.
You will for sure require all side case gaskets and case seals to be on the safe side But check the selector mechanism first as the pins on the gear drum can bend.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »
Plus 1 with oddjob
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Boggieman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
Thanks very much for all the replies guys.
Always good to hear that it is worth checking something simple(r) 1st.
As for the foot riding on the gear lever, I don't think it will be that as I always move my foot back so that the ball of my foot is on the peg. But will look at all this once I get into the nitty gritty.
Thanks once again to all who replied.
Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal