Author Topic: Front fork problem  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Front fork problem
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 02:46:56 PM »
"I have seen threadlock mentioned in the cycleserve manual, presumably to prevent the bolt working loose in service, think about it, if the bolt came loose, what is holding your fork leg together, frankly, nothing."

Is this correct?.... is it not a fail-safe design, it the bolt cannot unwind appreciably due axle clamped over it?

Upto this point had always figured the seal was the job of the (serviceable) copper washer. But agree, if Soichiro Honda says 'use it'....!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Front fork problem
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 08:53:56 PM »
Since the forks are generally under compression ( unless anyone jumps their sohc honda ) then the bolt is hardly going to cause the forks to disintegrate in service if it comes out. Far more worrying would be a load of fork oil dumping itself potentially onto the front tyre if the bolt works loose, that said I don't think I threadlocked when doing fork rebuilds though I don't do that many so would probably be following a manual, cirtainly was on last rebuild of forks, but cannot remember if it specified thread locking compound. I prefer to use the honda dealer workshop manuals to haynes where available.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal