Author Topic: Questions for David Silver  (Read 5795 times)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for David Silver
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 10:20:46 PM »
Sounds like I actually need a roll of the chrome mini trim. Sounds cheaper and has other uses - I intend one day to build a morgan inspired 3 wheeler, chrome trim would probably feature on this, been collecting bits when cheap for years looking for the right look / feel.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »
I am very surprised that DS do not know about ill fitting brake shoes.  I have reported this problem to them a number of times. I have now had the last three sets in two years which have had friction material come apart from the aluminium and each replacement set has needed to have the width of the shoes ground off to fit in the cam.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »
So bikes effected, by shoe lining bonding issues, cb500/4, ca 125, cb30250 nighthawk. In my case the brand is unknown, but would be whatever cheap options Dave Silver had in stock. If he has customer records going back a few years he will see what I have bought, though my most recent set on the 500/4 are still good the nighthawk was most worrying as front brake pads friction material came unglued too. Rear brake going wrong bothers me a lot less than both sets. I might be interested if there is a recommended shelf life too, some have been sat around a while before fitting. I am not one for blaming anyone, but if I need to be checking boxes for a date and discarding after a use by, I need to know.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
Matthew/Florence..,  can you PM me details of your orders and I will get back to him.
Also need to look up what UKPete said about 750K) stanchions. Will also ask about the pattern 400/4 kickstart.

Cheers ...Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 12:04:24 PM »

3) On your aftermarket CB750K0 fork stanchions, I reported earlier this year that a member bought these but they needed modification to get to fit correctly and you replied that this is down to your supplier. A couple of us (including myself), are looking to possibly purchase these too. Do you have a contact so that we can address this directly with them please?

They are made in Italy and the factory do not have any retail outlet/contact. If any member can forward diagrams/photo's to show how they are wrong, we will try and resolve this. I know that there are 2 versions of the K0 stanchions depending on frame number, this may complicate matters as production qty is very low.

Regarding answer on fork tubes... anyone know if this is the likely supplier

http://www.tnk.it/en/prodotti7.php?mp=TNK%20GROUP%20SRL&cat=FORK%20TUBES&artd=FORK%20TUBES%20LIKE%20ORIGINAL&mm=HONDA
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »
From what I can make out :

Saisei Yamiya K0 stanchions :
http://www.saisei-europe.com/Shop/Products/c/front-forks/p/an-aftermarket-front-fork-stanchion-tube-set-fits-cb750-k0-k2

184GBP pair.

David Silver (Italian made)
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB750K0-FOUR-1969-1970/part_29393/       180GBP pair inc VAT

I am going to email Yamiya and ask them where their stanchions are manufactured and if they can guarantee they fit properly to a 750 K0!

Cheers ...Ash

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 05:23:21 PM »
Ash, i do not understand why people go for repro's when you can just re-chrome them at £150. I have known people to buy the repro type at £180 and then pay £50 for new caps.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »
Ash, i do not understand why people go for repro's when you can just re-chrome them at £150. I have known people to buy the repro type at £180 and then pay £50 for new caps.

I paid 9 quid each for caps before the hike.

Have you ever seen a pair of '69 K0 UK bike fork tubes? Perfect chrome in slider area..  moth eaten in non-chromed exposed area .. not worth hard chroming, pitting in non slider area far too deep for comfort.  Otherwise, it would  a big YES from me  that it would be the way to go (Phillpots of course!)

Cheers ...Ash
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:33:23 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »

Have you ever seen a pair of '69 K0 UK bike fork tubes? Perfect chrome in slider area..  moth eaten in exposed area .. not worth hard chroming, pitting in non slider area far too deep for comfort.  Otherwise, it would  a big YES from me  that it would be the way to go (Phillpots of course!)

Cheers ...Ash
Ash, i have had some that bad i had to cut the ears off and grind down the rust just to get them out of the bottom yokes. They still went to Philpots. Go a dirty look on that pair.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »

Have you ever seen a pair of '69 K0 UK bike fork tubes? Perfect chrome in slider area..  moth eaten in exposed area .. not worth hard chroming, pitting in non slider area far too deep for comfort.  Otherwise, it would  a big YES from me  that it would be the way to go (Phillpots of course!)

Cheers ...Ash
Ash, i have had some that bad i had to cut the ears off and grind down the rust just to get them out of the bottom yokes. They still went to Philpots. Go a dirty look on that pair.

Hmm .. maybe worth a punt then Trig.. they can always so no !!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »
Make sure he does not chrome the bottom where the bushes go

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 12:26:14 PM »
Those look a bit like mine Pete. Going to asked them direct but do you happen to know if the Yamiya ones are made in Japan? I am reluctant to buy the DS ones because there seems to be no back up link to the tech details from the manufacturer or even who the manufacturer is other than they are Italian..

Cheers ... AshD

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 06:32:26 PM »
I have no idea who supplies the yamiya ones, i am thinking of sending mine to be rechromed , i just wonder if the chromers can do it missing out the bottom area where clips and bushes are,
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »
I have no idea who supplies the yamiya ones, i am thinking of sending mine to be rechromed , i just wonder if the chromers can do it missing out the bottom area where clips and bushes are,
pete

Bet they can Pete .. read a mag article on them. Really 'oldy worldy' company but they did a cracking job, years ago on my KZ650B1 been around Yonks

Cheers ... Ash

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 06:52:52 PM »
If you are posting, just cover the area in masking tape and write DO NOT CHROME. The repro ones are chromed in that area.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal