Author Topic: Questions for David Silver  (Read 5794 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Questions for David Silver
« on: October 29, 2014, 01:35:01 PM »
I did agree a few weeks back to get together a list of questions from us collectively, to ask DS directly (as he requested when he joined us on here early this year). Been away so not done it yet, remiss of me I know but everyone please remind me about the questions we have:-

He is now in the final stages of getting CB72 / 77 pipes re-manufactured BTW, which he displayed at Stafford.

From what I remember:-

1) Progress on replica HM341 and 500/4 pipes
2) Bad bonding  / fit of pattern brake shoes.
3) Reminder about problem with aftermarket 750K0 fork stanchions
4) Fit of 400/4 replica pipes.
5) Supply of Yamiya seats/covers  (already addressed).

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for David Silver
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
thanks ash ,

the questions (requests ) for 500 series spares are my interests,but in general,keep up the good work !!

John
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Saisei

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »
I would be interested to hear what DS has to say to these too

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 11:46:20 PM »
Copy below of email sent to David Silver regarding questions from our members:-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi David,

I have gathered a few questions for you from SOHC.co.uk members recently.

1) Progress on the supply of  replica HM341 (CB750K2-K6) and  HM323  (CB500/4) Repro pipes.

2) Some members have bought aftermarket brake shoes and have found bad bonding and general fit. Is this a known issue please?

3) On your aftermarket CB750K0 fork stanchions, I reported earlier this year that a member bought these but they needed modification to get to fit correctly and you replied that this is down to your supplier. A couple of us (including myself), are looking to possibly purchase these too. Do you have a contact so that we can address this directly with them please?

4) Some members have had issues with the fitting of your 400/4 replica pipes. Are there any known issues please?

5) Supply of Yamiya seats/covers (already addressed) and I am contacting Honda about this personally.

6) Progress on your proposed museum.

7) Do you know of anyone who makes replica CB175A (Sloper) exhausts please? Similarly with SS125 exhausts.

Best regards …. Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:00:23 AM »
Nice one thanks Ash

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 05:02:58 PM »
Thanks Ash,please lets us know the outcome
I do have a particular interest in:-
1. HM341 pipes (bought some NOS pipes in 2008 for £99+vat each from DSS...happy days)
6. Museum open date...is it free entry for a/c customers?
7. Honda CD175A sloper pipes.

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 10:20:21 AM »
I GOT THIS REPLY TODAY FROM DAVID.

Hi Ash,

Just back from Las Vegas on leave, back to the US again shortly on business hence the slightly late replies, please see below...

Best Regards

David

David Silver Spares LTD

www.davidsilverspares.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: Ashley Derrick [mailto:ashley@smartsolutions.karoo.co.uk]
Sent: 02 November 2014 22:44
To: David Silver
Subject: Question for you from SOHC.co.uk

Hi David,

I have gathered a few questions for you from SOHC.co.uk members recently.

1) Progress on the supply of  replica HM341 (CB750K2-K6) and  HM323

(CB500/4) Repro pipes.

HM341-good news, final prototype has been approved, production can now begin. I cannot give a precise ETA but at least there is progress. No more news on HM323

2) Some members have bought aftermarket brake shoes and have found bad bonding and general fit. Is this a known issue please?

Not aware of any issues, do you know which model and brand?

3) On your aftermarket CB750K0 fork stanchions, I reported earlier this year that a member bought these but they needed modification to get to fit correctly and you replied that this is down to your supplier. A couple of us (including myself), are looking to possibly purchase these too. Do you have a contact so that we can address this directly with them please?

They are made in Italy and the factory do not have any retail outlet/contact. If any member can forward diagrams/photo's to show how they are wrong, we will try and resolve this. I know that there are 2 versions of the K0 stanchions depending on frame number, this may complicate matters as production qty is very low.

4) Some members have had issues with the fitting of your 400/4 replica pipes. Are there any known issues please?

Yes-many hours has been spent on this, for now all sets withdrawn until the issues are resolved.

5) Supply of Yamiya seats/covers (already addressed) and I am contacting Honda about this personally.

6) Progress on your proposed museum.

Late 2015….hopefully

7) Do you know of anyone who makes replica CB175A (Sloper) exhausts please?

Similarly with SS125 exhausts.

Unfortunately no, demand would probably be too low to recover the tooling costs.

Best regards …. Ash

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:21:53 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 01:38:03 PM »
Thanks Ash. Any word on the CB400F kick starter?

Cheers
Steve
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 02:38:37 PM »
Lynx
Dont know if this is of use to you its for a 350 though http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_moto/593402001.htm?ca=20_s
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 04:35:28 PM »
I just thought of another one, cb500/4 chrome trim for tank? Last time I looked for some it was unobtainable, though there were a few types that were close, the clips being the real hens teeth.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 06:40:50 PM »
Got a photo might have some off them somewhere yeah piranha teeth
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
I would really need a full set - possibly 2 if I got the k0 tank painted plus one length of the crome trim for the right hand side of the tank on my sidecar bike. I don't particularly feel having the clips in situ has effected the tank to adversely on the sidecar bike and they have been there for probably the last 40 years. But then most would be rushing that tank down the respray shop, I love the patina.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 09:41:13 PM »
Off subject a bit but  almost exact replica 750K0 tank trim can be made from carefully cut down 60's mini car  chrome trim. Have a reel of it somewhere. Has to be correct type though.

There was a time when Freddy was selling it on eBay in prepared cut down form for silly money before repro came out. I know 'cos I suspected it and then looked at his eBay purchase feedback and guess what he had bought the same mini trim as me !!

Cheers ... Ash

PLEASE REMIND ME ABOUT THE 400/4 kickstart question and any new questions. Got to hand it to DS he sure comes back with prompt replies. Met him in person at Stafford for a chat, what a great unassuming guy he is when you talk to him and his staff were really helpful too, seem to enjoy what they are doing which is a real change.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:43:18 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »
Hi Ash,

Over a year ago I tried to order a repro kickstart from DSS for the 400. Part No. 28300-377-000. They cancelled the order and said they were having a quality control issue with them. I think it was about £35. At the Stafford show last year I ask the staff on the DSS stand if they had any news on them. They said they were hoping to have them available again by Christmas (last year). I see they are still not available. So I was wondering if there is an update on if/when they with make a repro kickstart again for the 400.

Could you inquire please?

Cheers
Steve
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 10:20:46 PM »
Sounds like I actually need a roll of the chrome mini trim. Sounds cheaper and has other uses - I intend one day to build a morgan inspired 3 wheeler, chrome trim would probably feature on this, been collecting bits when cheap for years looking for the right look / feel.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal