Author Topic: Why this forum is so much better than some of the 'others'  (Read 3410 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Why this forum is so much better than some of the 'others'
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 08:01:59 PM »
Who was the disser mick
i reckon it was b*ke Pu**er and he's gone now!

Steve .. any chance you can find Bodd's deleted posts?

I know we waffle on sometimes and banter but there is a real undercurrent of factual stuff too.
BTW I thought the CL350 Cafe' in the 'Girl With The Dragon Tatoo' was great a won't diss anyone with a cafe
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:26:18 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 08:17:13 PM »
I'm a great fan of the dragon tattoo books and films. That's thats Swedish ones - not the Hollywood effort.

In the book it was Kawasaki. I must have missed the CL?
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 08:40:49 PM »
This forum is the highlight of my otherwise very boring days at the moment. Gives me a warm glow if I can help somebody, still learn a lot from some posts/users, and as for the banter, I reckon Bitsa and Trigger should form a double act, they'd make a fortune;D As regards that idiot having a go about Bodd's bike, we're better off without people like that, Cafe racers aren't my thing, but then nor are chops etc, but it's nice to see what other people get up to with their bikes, Honda SOHC bikes and engines are what I think the forum is about, if it's got an SOHC Honda engine, from C50's and SS 50's through to the CB750's and everything in between, it interests me! As regards dissing peoples bikes, feel free to have a dig at me anytime, I'm using a C90 chicken chaser as my everyday ride at the moment due to health issues/hospital f#ck ups, abd I forgot how much fun they are, thrash them silly, 100+ mpg, and they keep on going, AND it's an SOHC:)) So keep it coming guys and girls, much better than T.V.>:D

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 08:40:56 PM »
This forum is just the same as all the others, good people and bad people, I have had some good advice but I have also been told my 400/4 café racer build isn't worth it, that's why I now only post when I have a question the more knowledgeable can answer about the 400/4.
Bodd, i have also been following your 400/4 build. Nice bit of fabrication work.

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »

Steve .. any chance you can find Bodd's deleted posts?

No posts are ever lost or deleted* - if a member deletes their account, all their posts are assigned to "Guest".

Bodd's posts are all in the database and restoring them to his new account would be technically simple. Just find the 80-odd posts amongst the 39,000 in the database and reassign them by writing his new user ID directly into the table. Technically simple but logistically impossible unless someone is clever enough to write a script to do it (I'm not...)

So, his old posts are labelled "Bodd - Guest" as opposed to "Bodd - SOHC Associate" and as long as he can live with that, I can too.

I'm useless at fabrication and only look in awe at some of the stuff you guys can make.  I can do electrics though  :)

Steve

* If you delete a post it goes into a (hidden) "Deleted Posts" database - nothing is ever deleted completely. That way I can (usually) resurrect something that may have been deleted by accident.
Only admins can see the deleted posts folder (so that's just me then!)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:51:09 PM by SteveD CB500F »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 12:31:55 AM »
I'm a great fan of the dragon tattoo books and films. That's thats Swedish ones - not the Hollywood effort.

Yes read all the three books Steve in proper paper form but have them in 'e' format if anyone wants them I can put on my Dropbox just pm me.
Yes in book it was a Kawa 125 and Swedish film it was a Yamaha WR250X but in the Hollywood one it was a Honda CL350 (or was it really a CB model donor bike. It says 'Type 1' on the cam cover so must have been an early bike with the 'fat' cam.
I think 'Type 1'=180 degree crank in Honda speak but don't quote me on it).

Everyone says CL model but more of the CB in it. Oh Hell starting to get anoraky again well here goes. Is it a K0 or a K1 and why are the forks not the gaitered type (the Americans had gaitered forks on CL model  & Shrouded ones on the CB model. Interestingly we got the gaitered type on the first model  CB250's. The tank looks more like a CB  modified later tank (but no kneepads or sign of them  ... started omitting kneepads at K2) . The front 'fender' is a later model type off a CB not CL as the CL had a 'shorty' one and the CB  a top braced one. The giveaway for a '69 K1 is the little orange reflector on the front of the fender. Lots of Honda US models in '69 had that reflector for that year only (175 and 450 models inc.) and they are mega rare to get hold of now. Rear fender looks stock. Last time I looked at DK's classic stock video he described a "Sea of CL350's"...they certainly have a good few of them , that's for sure !

Little demon in me saying Anorak off ... get on with your work Ash !!

Cheers ...Ash

Links:

http://selvedgeyard.com/2011/12/12/the-epic-bike-build-goes-to-glory-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2012/01/girl-with-dragon-tattoo-motorcycle.html

http://glorymotorworks.com/#

Cheers ... Ash

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Quote from the Bike builder:-

“I got the call to meet with [director] David Fincher and discuss motorcycles for a new film he was doing,” says Kell. “I bought all three Larsson books and read them in three days: the character of Lisbeth Salander is killer. As I read the books, I kept thinking that Lisbeth’s bike would be the kind of bike most 20-somethings with limited financial recourses would ride. She wouldn’t have an expensive modern bike: she would have an inexpensive older bike that would be customized to fit her personality.”

Originally, the producers considered using modern bikes. “I had to convince Fincher that we could build vintage bikes to be as reliable as modern bikes. David leaves no detail untouched: he knows that a broken motorcycle can delay production and cost the film company thousands of dollars.” Kell also had to keep the art director happy, make the bike fit the conceptual drawings, and build bikes that would start and perform whenever called upon.

He had 30 days to find, buy and rebuild three late-60s Honda CB350s. “I went after low mileage, original machines in stock condition. We looked at updating charging systems and upgrading performance.” The script called for a lot of high speed riding, plus off-road action on ice and snow. Bikes in movies are usually started and shut down hundreds of times during a day of filming: this means that starter motors have to be rebuilt, and three-wire high-output charging systems installed.

Kell also increased the battery box size, so he could fit a higher amperage sealed battery. “The lighting is always super important in a Fincher film, so the bikes were fitted with HID lamps. All the metal parts were stripped and cleaned, and sent out for paint, powdercoating, polishing or cadmium plating. “We ended up powdercoating the wheels and using bigger gauge SS spokes. We replaced everything: new clutches, new brakes, new wiring harnesses and every fastener on the bike. The motors were torn down to the cranks, we trued the flywheels, did valve jobs and replaced pistons and rings.” The carbs were rebuilt and the fuel tanks were stripped and re-lined. Flat track style seats were installed, covered in vintage glove leather.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:06:30 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 07:52:10 AM »

I loved the books,and the original film(s)

just reading how she rode the bike at the end of the first book made me shiver,it seemed so cold !!!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal