Author Topic: Final Drive Front Sprocket  (Read 773 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• View Profile
Final Drive Front Sprocket
« on: November 07, 2014, 01:56:48 PM »
The final drive chain was going tight/loose when the rear wheel was turned. I took the chain off and the front sprocket cover for inspection. The front sprocket was loose and the securing bolt was less than finger tight. It looked like the PO replaced the sprockets and chain. There appears to be an additional washer (the one pictured nearest the sprocket) I am guessing that this washer has actually come off the rear wheel. Without this "spacing washer" it is impossible to tighten the sprocket on the shaft enough to prevent some lateral movement. The manual refers to a 2 bolt lock plate but the sprocket couldn't accommodate this. Has anyone got any thoughts.

Present CB750 K7

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Final Drive Front Sprocket
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »
Shaun
If your bike is a k7 your setup is correct take a look here http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750k7-four-england_model14390/partslist/E16.html#results
If your bike is earlier than the k7 its different
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline ShaunJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »
Hi Bitsa

Yes it is a K7. Looking at the schematic I do seem to have an additional washer.  The sprocket just can't be tightened on the shaft without an additional shim which seems odd. Doesn't look like anything is missing. I wonder if the front sprocket is just badly manufactured. The shaft looks OK to me.

Thanks
Present CB750 K7

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »
Shaun
I have not a lot of knowledge on the k7 so if it were me I would put it as it should be.Yes some aftermarket sprockets are better than others.With the k4 and k6 I have had some that were a nice tight fit and others flop around like a dick in a welly boot even when the plate and bolts nice and tight.Maybe the PO tried to stop the movement by trying to shim it out don't know.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal