Author Topic: Previous keeper definition  (Read 2305 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Previous keeper definition
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »
After all of the recent 'silly banter' from me  a proper serious post.

I bought my 750K0 off a guy from York, who gave me the original used 'bill of sale' dated from 1975 from Mick Buttfield M/C in York, when he bought it used. He told me that he knew that the PO to him was a guy in Scarborough who ran a pub. So  that makes me at least the third owner. However, looking at the the V5 in my name, last night, it states 'Number of former keepers 1'.
So when we buy a vehicle do we believe the DLVA to be correct on the number of PO's ?  Or am I understanding the definition wrongly of 'Former keepers'. Is it the number before the person you bought it off or inclusive of them owning it? At least it gives me a good reason to apply for historic data from the DVLA if it is indeed wrong.

Cheers ..Ash

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Previous keeper definition
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »
It should be the number of times a transfer of ownership has been notified to dvla. Eg on our landrover it wax bought new by chap A, sold ti chap B then we bought it ( chap C ) number of keepers now at 3. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that that bunch of slack jawed idiots at dvla have made clerical errors or typos. They are the first to make mistakes and the first to issue fines if it appears someone else might be in error, but try tonget even an applology or agknowledgement of them being at fault.
Rant over.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 09:49:14 AM »
I had  problem with DVLA recently. Did a change of address on my Freelander. I purchased it new, 2 years ago, so I'm the only one in the log book. By the time the Doc came back from Swansea it said it had had 7 previous owners !!!. Contacted DVLA and they said 'yes' definitely 7 owners, so I asked them to provide me with the other 6 owners names, No, they couldn't do this until I did a previous owner information request. So I requested the info, never did get a reply but 10 days ago the Log book turned up with the new address, showing me as the only owner !!!. There was a little letter of apology with the Doc saying it had been a data processing error !!!. Morons  :-*
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »
Also, it depends if the owners have notified DVLA of ownership change. A lot of project bikes can change hands several times without anyone telling Swansea, and only bothering to tell them when it goes back on the road for buying tax.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »
 hi ash same story here when i got my last 750k0,the last two keepers never registered it and the actual registered keeper  owned it in 1988,i know him and the the guy he bought it off (he never registered it either lol) and i know the guy he had it off who did register it and the original owner is now in sunny oz so that makes me the seventh owner lol
but as far as the DVLA is concerned I'm  only the fourth owner  init they don't know shit from choclate ,i think this is why i like UK registered bikes you can follow up some amazing info
go on give em a fiver its good for a laugh anyway  ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »

I bought my 750K0 off a guy from York, who gave me the original used 'bill of sale' dated from 1975 from Mick Buttfield M/C in York, when he bought it used. He told me that he knew that the PO to him was a guy in Scarborough who ran a pub. So  that makes me at least the third owner. However, looking at the the V5 in my name, last night, it states 'Number of former keepers 1'.
So when we buy a vehicle do we believe the DLVA to be correct on the number of PO's ?  Or am I understanding the definition wrongly of 'Former keepers'. Is it the number before the person you bought it off or inclusive of them owning it? At least it gives me a good reason to apply for historic data from the DVLA if it is indeed wrong.

Cheers ..Ash
Seriously Ash, we are talking about civil servants here. You do not expect them to get anything right.   

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »

Cheers ..Ash

I know ..  but the point is most people would buy the vehicle and believe the seller that the V5 info is correct !
Seriously Ash, we are talking about civil servants here. You do not expect them to get anything right.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
I wouldn't trust the DVLA to get anything right, below is what someone posted last week on another forum I frequent.

Me – Hello, I’d like to register and tax this 1980 Swiss import Yamaha RD250 please.
DVLA – Give us some money! We want money! We want it now!
Me – Here y’go, and here’s the insurance and MOT showing it’s frame number.
DVLA – Here are your documents back, plus your V5C, showing your UK registration V170 LCC.
Me – Hang on a minute, that’s a 1999 number. I wanted a 1980 age-related number, so it should have a V-suffix, not a V-prefix.
DVLA – Eh? Oh, sorry. Our mistake. Here’s some more documents, showing the correct number, HHW 64V. We’ve withdrawn V170 LCC.
Me – Thanks, but you’ve missed a “2” out in the engine number.
DVLA – Sorry. Our mistake. Here’s another V5C, showing the correct engine number.
Me – Thanks.
(long pause).
DVLA – According to our records, your vehicle V170 LCC is not insured. Here’s a fixed penalty fine.
Me – Piss off! (repeat story so far).
DVLA – Sorry, our mistake. The appropriate staff have been exterminated. You’ll hear no more about it.
Me – thanks.
DVLA – You have failed to insure your vehicle V170 LCC and you haven’t paid the fixed penalty fine. Here’s a summons to go to court.
Me – Listen VERY carefully……(repeat story so far).
DVLA – Sorry. Our mistake. We’ll withdraw the summons. You’ll hear no more about it.
Me – Thanks.
(long pause)
Court – You failed to attend Court on the date specified. We have found you guilty in your absence of no insurance on vehicle V170 LCC. Here’s a fine and costs. £330 to pay.
Me – I don’t beleiiiive it! (repeat story so far). Faxed DVLA letters.
Court – Oh, really? Ok, we’ll set the conviction aside but you’ll still need to attend court on 29th October for a trial if you’re pleading not guilty.
29/10/14…………
DVLA prosecutor – This man has no insurance, the bast@rd!
Magistrate – Is that right?
Me – No! (repeat story so far and produce DVLA letter).
Magistrate – I take it you want to withdraw the charge?
DVLA Prosecutor – Er, yes. Sorry. Our mistake.
Me – I want costs!
Court Clerk – The court can only award costs for legal representation, not for the DVLA’s incompetence.
Magistrate – That’s a shame. Can’t the DVLA compensate him? Because it’s the view of this court that they should!
DVLA prosecutor – Er, I’ll chase that up.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
CLASSIC ::)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 07:14:38 PM »
I had a similar saga, though they withdrew summons a week before the hearing. Bunch if inept and deceitful liars who operate a double standard.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »
I may have posted this earlier on a different thread,

but when dealing with the dreaded DVLA and your driving licence,be very careful,try to have a photocopy of  it,
they have been doing replacement but dropping several groups,such as motorcycles ,if not checked  you will be in deep do do if
stopped by the fuzz

beware
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal