Author Topic: 400/4 in Cheshire  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Frisky

• View Profile
400/4 in Cheshire
« on: November 10, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
Hi There,

I thought that I should make an introduction as I have lurked around here for a while but now that I have my P&J on the road, I feel that I should make the effort.

Passed my test only last year and have owned a Honda CG 125W, a BSA B40 (350 single), a CB250NA Superdream, a Honda CB 250RSA and at last a CB 400/4 - yippee! Not ventured into bigger bikes yet!

Bought the 400/4 off ebay in May as a project - it was actually a cross between a CB400/4, a Kawasaki KH400 with lots of Superdream parts thrown in for good measure. It had not run for many years and needed a complete strip down and refurbish. I just wanted a runner with some period 1970s parts for good measure, nothing too special and not too much polished metal. I followed the well-trodden path of powder coated frame, refurbished as much as I could and finally got her through the MOT last weekend.

The bike is in the gallery and has a pretty good Giuliari seat (like em or loathe 'em), a Dresda rear arm and a Dunstall type silencer. It sounds great and goes very well with a non-standard colour scheme, but it suits me.

I tend to hang around with the VMCC guys with my BSA and hopefully now with the 400/4; it is nearly 40 years old after all! Would love to meet up with other riders when the weather gets warmer - lots of good rides in Cheshire after all.

Just chasing a top end misfire above 8k, intermittent; suspect carbs or coils perhaps?

All for now.

Cheers,

Frisky
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:18:44 PM by Frisky »

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 in Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »
Welcome Frisky, you are in good company on here, lots of 400/4 owners and lots of good advice.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »
Welcome, looking as you have done some work on that. Can't see any superdream parts.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 04:01:53 PM »
Welcome to the group, another 400/4 always welcome, as for superdream bits, well they make a twin disc front end easy to start with, so I don't knock anything that is safe and easy to do!
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Frisky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 05:20:53 PM »
Hi,

The Superdream parts have all gone now. It had the front twin-disc set-up and clocks plus seat and some other electrics - it was a real hotpotch!

I debated leaving the front discs but wanted spoked wheels so reverted to standard wheels and single disc; it seems to be OK and better than I am used to for sure.

Still chasing the misfire though?

Cheers,

Frisky

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal