Author Topic: Bike Lifters  (Read 897 times)

Offline Lokie

• View Profile
Bike Lifters
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:50:06 PM »
Hi,
I have been looking at getting a Bike lifter/jack as I want to have both wheels off this winter but having a look underneath I have my doubts if they will work. The exhaust pipes block half the frame so is there either an easy way to remove the down pipes or some special 400/4 bit to allow lifting on the engine itself. There are also front paddock stands that fit into the headstock, has anyone used them? Its looking like I will be sticking to my favourite old scissor jack and blocks of wood unless anyone has any bright ideas.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bike Lifters
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:14:45 PM »
I bought one of those paddock stands to go under the headstock, cannot say I have used it in the 5 years it has been hanging off the shelf. I tend to hang the bikes off a chain hoist if the wheels need to come off, less chance of it falling off, less starin lifting it, more control putting the wheel spindle back in as the wheel can be on the floor, the bike can be set to hang just right and a hide mallet can then be used to rapidly install the wheel spindle without breaking a sweat. Somthing I perfected on my rebel 125, a heavy old brute, with no centre stand and thanks to mix and match parts at some point, a need for 2 washers to go between the wheel hub and brake plate, an operation requiring thd patience of Job and thd dexterity of a safari park monkey stripping a car for parts. I actually use heavy baler twine ( available from most farmers) to form a sling of sorts, one bit around the headstock, and a loop round the twinshock mounts. The stuff is easily strong enough for most motorbikes to hang off, and so cheap you can double it up to be sure, and once the job is finished you can just cut the bike free rather than fiddle with knots. Also although I have a proper rear paddock stand it gets in the way of the exhaust and I have had to rescue the bike from falling off it a few times.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal