Author Topic: Cheap Sandcast for sale!  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Sandcast for sale!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »
do I detect irony !!!!!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 10:15:09 AM »
I could not resit it!

It's one hell of a price though.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »
 ;) yep thats frank he dont care how much he makes

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 06:00:54 AM »
Intrigued .. a '69 Sandcast with fancy reg HON750F recently sold at circa £35K. It was described as "the best blah blah". Now we have another "the best blah blah" but at £20K dearer... Pete, Ash, James etc... is there some genuine value difference between the two bikes?  And if so, what?

Simon.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:29:51 AM by Lobo »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:42:59 AM »
I suspect that he sold the 35k too easily and is now chancing his arm at that huge 55k price tag, it would be good for us who regard these as investments as it pushes prrices up but i think he has gone a bit high this time, the fact remains that there are probably about twenty in this country and not likely to be many more , and it is a true legendary bike acknowledged world wide so there is always the collectors out there that want them
Even the early K0's which are very similar are achieving very good money now
pete

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Cheap Sandcast for sale!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »
My instinct tells me he's (Frank) drawing parallels with these machines and the classic car market and driving prices accordingly. If you look at historic / current prices in early jag e-type and porsche 911 (even 912's) - in the last 3-4 years prices have quadrupled for early examples.

He recently advertised a k1 for £18k which is now sold. Personally, he's doing existing early bike owners a bit of a favour in terms of the value of our investments. But I do expect the market to adjust when interest rates start to rise...

In terms of comparisons, well the early diecast k0's are as close to identical to the sandcast aside from some very minor feature changes (and obviously the casting method for the crankcases)...the sandcasts are out of my reach now, so I'm sticking with the diecast k0's...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:13:10 PM by Jamesh_sussex »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 12:03:25 PM »
I see (MCN this week) that the new £160k Honda RCV213 road bike has sandcast cases.

Does this mean there will be a whole bunch of "new" sandcast owners?

:)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
I wonder if the 500/k0 will ever start to follow in terms of value? I know I bought mine when a 750 sandcast was though a fair price at under 10k. Frankly at that strength of price I would be chasing a Brough or Vincent and damn the expence if I even had that kind of disposable. I never saw any of my bikes as an investment, rather low overall cost transport. Looking at what pile of rust projects or even parts now sometimes seem to be going for I have accidentally done rather a lot better than the bank interest on savings would be.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 01:40:59 PM »
My instinct tells me he's (Frank) drawing parallels with these machines and the classic car market and driving prices accordingly. If you look at historic / current prices in early jag e-type and porsche 911 (even 912's) - in the last 3-4 years prices have quadrupled for early examples.

He recently advertised a k1 for £18k which is now sold. Personally, he's doing existing early bike owners a bit of a favour in terms of the value of our investments. But I do expect the market to adjust when interest rates start to rise...

In terms of comparisons, well the early diecast k0's are as close to identical to the sandcast aside from some very minor feature changes (and obviously the casting method for the crankcases)...the sandcasts are out of my reach now, so I'm sticking with the diecast k0's...

James i am sure with your contacts it wont be long before you find a sandcast,
its emotional when you  get one, you feel like you have reached the top, there is no better feeling i still dont believe i have one, and the search for parts is as good as building and owning one ,  i just love motor bikes,and  the whole scene that goes with owning and restoring a classic
pete
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:49:09 PM by UK Pete »

rhos1355

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »
Methinks he's forgotten a zero. lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal