Author Topic: Engine Rebuild  (Read 4784 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Engine Rebuild
« on: November 20, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
I find it strange that the 400 boys always moan at the cost of a engine rebuilds. I always tell people that i can not give a price until it is stripped and checked.
But, if anyone is looking for a fully re-built engine then here is a link (make sure you are sitting down with a stiff drink before you look at the price)>>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CB400F-CB-400-Four-cb-400-4-ENGINE-NEW-0-Miles-/131350365893?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1e951786c5

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:04:28 PM »
Bloody hell Trig they could have at least flatted all the chips out of the alloy BEFORE they sprayed it. Part of the upper surface of the point cover area missing, chips in the clutch cover, wrong screws fitted to the points cover, wrong type of bolts fitted to the camchain tensioner IMO. Runs in the paint work in the area above the points cover as well. Might look nice at a glance but doesn't bear close scrutiny.

But, you do get a free engine stand ;D

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:12:46 AM »
Brand new apparently now includes items that are restorer and refurbished with aftermarket parts (?)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:03:34 AM »
Hi,
    Translation problems perhaps, newly re-furbished sounds better, even if they have used poetic license, but £2000 to Dover is a lot of lolly.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 09:55:40 AM »
My mate does engine rebuilds, he gets really fed up with folk who moan about the cost. Most of the cost will be parts, especially if he uses genuine bearings, but as he says, buy a Honda for the quality, then it makes sense to rebuild using Honda bearings and parts or the engine will only be as good as the cheap rubbish bearings you put in it. As he mostly does motx bikes, £1600 wouldn't be unusual what with titanium valves and stuff, and yet customers still want him to save £10 using pattern bearings he knows are made of cheese.
You never know how bad an engine rebuild bill will be until you open it up. I have had running cb550s where basically everything inside was scrap, still ran, rattled and down on power. Only bits worth saving were the clutch and casing. Probably the engine casings if you could weld., even the barrels needed re lining.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Clouddancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 08:03:58 AM »
Good Morning guys,
I am the Owner / Seller of this EBAY CB 400 F Engine.
I will ask you some Questions :
Did some of you ever collect all this Stuff which was needed to rebuild an Japanese Engine from the 70th ?
Did you all have a Paint Shop ?
Sandblasting ? No Problem for you ? For less ?
Did you buy your Tools on your Weekly Veggy Market ?
Welding Equipment ? Lathe ?
Knowledge How is Who in the HONDA Parts World ? There is more than only DSS….
Did you restore more than one or two Engines under Warranty ?
and at last . Sorry about my bad English, but the Boys from the British Army who fight for you and us in Afghan understand me l since 11 Years very well.
CIV Mec. 2 Battal. REME  , Bad Fallingbostel

The offered Engine is already sold after 3 Days .
This is the second one.
And there is another Engine but with Special coated STD. HONDA Piston….All build Up in the same Way.
Pictures ?

My Bikes : EGLI HONDA CB 500 F / 600ccm ( one of the rarest one , only 18 frames build )
                EGLI KAWASAKI Z 1000 R with Endurance Race Engine …too much to list
                Yoshimura CB 400 Four ….withe Kaz Yoshima Parts, goes like the Hell
                KAWASAKI ZXR 400 NAKANO Replica
Pictures ?

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 09:03:32 AM »
Dear Cloudancer.
I think you'll find the answers to most of your questions are "yes"

If you are going to join in with this forum then OK (but a bad start). If you just want to advertise your eBay listings then we are not interested and you can leave.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 09:23:50 AM »
Good Morning guys,
I am the Owner / Seller of this EBAY CB 400 F Engine.
I will ask you some Questions :
Did some of you ever collect all this Stuff which was needed to rebuild an Japanese Engine from the 70th ?
Did you all have a Paint Shop ?
Sandblasting ? No Problem for you ? For less ?
Did you buy your Tools on your Weekly Veggy Market ?
Welding Equipment ? Lathe ?
Knowledge How is Who in the HONDA Parts World ? There is more than only DSS….
Did you restore more than one or two Engines under Warranty ?
and at last . Sorry about my bad English, but the Boys from the British Army who fight for you and us in Afghan understand me l since 11 Years very well.
CIV Mec. 2 Battal. REME  , Bad Fallingbostel

The offered Engine is already sold after 3 Days .
This is the second one.
And there is another Engine but with Special coated STD. HONDA Piston….All build Up in the same Way.
Pictures ?

My Bikes : EGLI HONDA CB 500 F / 600ccm ( one of the rarest one , only 18 frames build )
                EGLI KAWASAKI Z 1000 R with Endurance Race Engine …too much to list
                Yoshimura CB 400 Four ….withe Kaz Yoshima Parts, goes like the Hell
                KAWASAKI ZXR 400 NAKANO Replica
Pictures ?

The answers to your questions is: YES,YES,YES, NO, YES,YES,YES and while your on about rare bikes; Have a few of those also ;D

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 09:33:20 AM »
More…

First of all (well OK, second), welcome to the forum.

Registration here is manually approve (by me). 30-50 registrations are automatically rejected by the spam filter. Of the other 4 or 5 per week, I check them. I found your website and looked at all your 400/4 stuff and thought you'd be a good addition to the site.

We don't have a happy history with people who register just to push their eBay business.

Please prove that I have misjudged your first post.

I don't normally write this stuff on the forum (that's what private messaging is for) but you caught me in a bad mood this morning (hangover…)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »
Dear Cloudancer.
I think you'll find the answers to most of your questions are "yes"

If you are going to join in with this forum then OK (but a bad start). If you just want to advertise your eBay listings then we are not interested and you can leave.

Steve, I thought i was the one that advertised his ebay listings ;)

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 09:37:09 AM »
Hi Cloudancer
    I too have built several 400/4 engines over the last 40 years, including my present one built to run at up to 1200rpm, knowledge of and costs off overhauling these engines on this forum is as good as it gets, and have you owned and maintained one for 35 years-I have. A sense of humour also helps on this site and the ability to grin and bear criticism also helps!
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 09:39:59 AM »
Hi Cloudancer
    I too have built several 400/4 engines over the last 40 years, including my present one built to run at up to 1200rpm, knowledge of and costs off overhauling these engines on this forum is as good as it gets, and have you owned and maintained one for 35 years-I have. A sense of humour also helps on this site and the ability to grin and bear criticism also helps!
  1200r.p.m? Have you made the first diesel 400/4? :)):)):))

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 09:47:07 AM »
welcome to the site Cloudancer. It is nice to hear we have a German engine builder.

sent from my £50 phone using my finger

Offline Clouddancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »
No trigger this is Not my Target !
I offer my Engine only in the well known Market Places

Lokk at the Photo Stream , I will show you my latest Projekt …
CB 400 F with Dry Clutch, converted Oil Ways , 500 ccm ( Liner and Pistons from Down Under 9 Yosh ST 1 Camshaft , and ZXR 400 Carburettors
and so on….

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »
Personally, my list of trusted engine builders is fairly short ....
Just me and Honda  :D
Plenty of good engine builders out there , but where's the fun in letting them do it all?
I used a respected local workshop to do the rebore and valve work, the spanner work
I was happy to do things myself and take my time, reading up and using other restorers' advice etc.
Having the receipts for every bearing, seal, shells, pistons etc you have bought gives some comfort.
It's also good to retain the bike's original engine...most of it !
If some things went awry during the build they would be sorted out along the way.
Carbs and electrics make the engine look easy !

If I had spent cash on a rebuilt motor I would have wanted to see the workshop, gauge the mechanic's experience, the attention to detail, then talk to others who have bought from them
- plus see what quality of parts had been used.... The list goes on.
Cosmetics like the paint and getting every fastener etc to the original standard is important for some but tells you zero about the internals.... A hint as to the quality of the rebuild .....maybe?

A rebuilt engine needs to be heard running most would agree, so buying from the picture makes for huge risk.
Guarantee or warranty ....  ;D.. ....doubt that.
Buying a mechanically sound complete bike or the engine from one you have seen and heard would probably be a better bet for me  - only if i wanted to save time of course !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal