Author Topic: new to honda fours  (Read 6431 times)

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
new to honda fours
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
Hi All,
I'm Andy from Lincoln, and like a lot of bikers these days I'm in my late fifties. I always liked the look of the sohc Honda four but cant justify the cost of going  for the original type but am very happy indeed to be picking up an F2 in the next week or so. No doubt I will be making a pest of myself on here by asking stupid questions so I ask here and now that you bear with me ! my other bikes are a Mk 1 Speed triple and a little Puch M125S from the early 70's.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: new to honda fours
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:14:43 PM »
Hi Andy.

Mk1 Speed Triple - probably the most collectable of all the Hinckley bikes (except maybe the Super III)  :)

Welcome to the forum.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 10:14:47 PM »
Hi Andy, and welcome. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask, and then end up making dangerous and/or expensive mistakes! Be sure to post some photos of your F2 when you get it, always good to see the start of a project.:))
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:16:23 PM »
welcome Andy to the mad world of the SOHC. You have a question, we will know the answer. Couple of lads on here with CB750F's, very underrated bike.

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome gents, very heartening. Yeah Steve the SIII is a desirable bike and the most collectable , beating the 'trip and below that there's the Daytona and Sprint, vastly underrated bikes those two if you're looking for a bargain. Having said all that about Hinckley Triumphs, what I know about Honda fours you could write on a postage stamp but I'm looking forward to getting to know the new bike. I will be looking for chrome trim for the seat and seat cowl if anyone has any ideas.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 11:01:40 PM »
The chrome trim and the plastic cowl are the hardest parts to find. I would not even buy a F2 without it. Hold-on a couple of days and someone may prove me wrong by saying that they have those on the back of the shed or tucked away in the loft.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 06:38:02 AM »
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum  :), post some photos of your bike when you get chance plz  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 08:49:51 AM »
Hi andy welcome to the forum, F2's are quite a good buy, the spares are always cropping up on ebay, when you say chrome trim do you mean the trim that goes down the sides with the coloured strip in the middle or the trim on the back which is a sort of u shape?
pete

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 09:27:01 AM »
Welcome Andy, always good to welcome another Yellowbelly with a SOHC-----Ken
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »
Welcome from sunny scunny.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 10:42:30 AM »
What's a "Yellowbelly"?

I had two Daytonas until my recent clear out left me with just the Tiger and the 500/4:

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
Cheers guys, as a new owner is good to see the site so active and also that I'm not the only yellow belly around.

Pete; unfortunately its not an either or, I need [ if that's the right word for trim] both the two strips that fit on either side of the seat and the trim around the back of the seat cowl, I also think there's an insert missing from the back of the seat cowl where the Honda badge goes. if I cant find them its not an issue but I like stuff to look right. I hoping that this wont affect performance but if it does I will put some go faster stripes on the side panels or something to compensate.

Steve, two nice looking bikes there, I like the look of the very early Daytona especially, ref the Tigger, I've wanted one of those for a while now as I like the look of the riding position. One tall bike though, even at 6ft3 Id need a set of steps or a hoist as I'm not as nimble as I used to be, or as young and pretty too, come to think of it.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »
Hi,
    Various answers to Lincolnshire yellowbelly, the formost being that one of the old lincolnshire regiments (10th lincolnshire ) wore a yellow sash as a means of recognition----Ken
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »
Welcome Andy
love the Hinckley Triumphs I would happily swap my S4 for your triple.My dads 1200 Trophy is stupidly reliable unlike mine.

Steve was your Daytona the one I saw on eBay clad in MCN girls.

Mick 
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
Hi Mick, thanks for the offer...errrm,,I think !  at least you're honest.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal