Author Topic: Brake disc's  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Brake disc's
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »
Can't remember but someone was looking for 2 brake disc's for a 550. If you are out there i picked up 2.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Brake disc's
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »
It was MrT
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »
Trig Steves spot on Mr t
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »
Have not seen Mr T about much. Will PM him. Cheers Steve

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »
Hey gents, still about but spent my money on that second engine and a rear wheel, so just working at getting little pieces polished or painted while I save for a seat so I know what length to mount my rear hoop. 
Anyone got suggestions on polishing pitted fork lowers?  Seems that one has tiny pits no matter how much I seem to sand!  Casting faults or do I just keep sanding?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:19:13 PM »
Did you get your forks done by philpots? I was in there place last week and they are snowed under with work.

Offline simonster

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 12:00:55 AM »
Difficult to say without a pic but I'm guessing if they are in similar condition to how mine were, the pitting has been caused by corrosion of some form which has eaten into the alloy. I had the same issues on the left lower and with the left crankcase which was very badly pitted and I thought I'd never clear it after my first few runs, but it eventually came out after about 10'runs with 180 grit on a flappy disc. It may only be a fraction of a mm deep but even 180 grade paper will take some time and plenty of elbow to sand it out, but when your somewhere close switch to 400 then 800 and 1200 finishing off with 2000 or 2500. A buffing mop and cutting paste in is the best option for speed after 1200 grit, but if you have plenty of time on your hands you can still get the same finish at 2500 and fine cutting compound or similar. The forks also came out a treat too and was worth the effort. Your finish will only be as good as the effort and patience paid in. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 06:21:55 AM »
Did you get your forks done by philpots? I was in there place last week and they are snowed under with work.
Haven't sent them off yet, planning to do that with my February paycheck.  :)  Glad I'm in no hurry!

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 06:24:06 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, was starting to think I was making a futile effort but if it took that many passes to get yours out, I'm not there yet!  Strangely enough, it's my left lower too...

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:36:37 AM »
I'm meant to be sending a disk to Mr T.  Sorry, been all over the place with work and not had time to post.  Will try this week.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 10:27:46 AM »
Not a worry florence, not nearly at the stage where it'll need stopping yet. :)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 10:35:23 AM »
Thanks Mr T :) My bike is stationary at the moment due to a puncture.   I keep meaning to take the wheel to the tyre place but there never seems to be a good moment.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal