Author Topic: Blue pipes  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Myford

• View Profile
Blue pipes
« on: December 06, 2014, 05:09:47 PM »
Hi all
New to this forum, been lurking for a while.
I've been a Brit bike man all my life, but I've always liked the 400 fours, and now I seem to have ended up with several to build one out of. I've been following the exhaust thread with interest and I just wondered about the mention of exhausts turning blue if they're not double skinned. Why?
With brit bikes if the down pipes (single skin) are blue it's considered a bit of a poor show really.  It usually means you've either got the mixture or the timing wrong .
So what's different.
Just curious.
Terry

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Blue pipes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 05:45:31 PM »
Welcome to the world of the SOHC.
If a exhaust is double skinned it will not blue at all. I am not sure were the british bike owners get that myth from. All motad exhausts blue straight away even if the mixture is spot on.
I do a lot of work on drag bikes running NOS and they love the look of blue down pipes. 

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »
when I had brit bikes,Triumphs 5ta and BSA A65,gives you some idea of my (great) age,
blue pipes were a sign the bikes ran hot and clean,

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »
Sorry but to me cheap crap exhausts I hate blue pipes with a vengence.Why should any correct running engine give the false sign of, shit must be a weak or whatever something is wrong
Never known one jap exhaust to blue unless something is seriously wrong.Remember a mate who had a triumph cub that went cherry red until he realised the timing was out.That has all ways put me off brit bikes.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
If anyone wants the blue/yellow look and needs the two clamped headers (DSS) I have these going spare. :)

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 10:53:13 AM »
I have DSS replicas on my bike. The down pipes had not discoloured until recently. They've done about 700 miles. Now the near side 2 down pipes have started yellowing. I've taken the plugs out and it is definitely running lean on those 2 pots. I haven't looked into why yet but I guess it is carb balance to blame.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline Myford

• View Profile