Author Topic: new member from west of scotland  (Read 2931 times)

Offline bigmockuk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
new member from west of scotland
« on: December 15, 2014, 12:57:04 PM »
Hi all just getting back into the motorcycle scene,picked up an aged honda cb550k,garaged for 25 odd yrs,everything seized as expected but coming along just nicely,lots of tlc needed but will get there,got the engine turnig over now tho a squeel from no 4,never seen carbs in this condition in my entire! float chambers still full of what is now varnish and now tainted red,slides jammed solid,alternator,clutch,brakes the list obviously goes on! have spent 3 weeks on it now and electronic ignition system is fully functioning,starting system all set after overhauling the motor! FINALLY figured out the annoying clutch/diode saftey mechanism! after hours of studying wire diagram to work out it only basically stops the nuetral light from coming on Grrrrr.The P.O has changed it to alloys and twin front discs which looks quite cool so may stick wi that,Im doing away with the full rickman touring fairing which is in amazing condition so will get that posted for sale,anyway,glad to be here and finding out lots more about these bikes,ttfn

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: new member from west of scotland
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
Hello and welcome. From the photo's it does look exceptionally clean for it's age. The idea of that diode is so you cannot start it in gear unless the clutch is pulled in, American safety legislation I'm afraid, obviously they are that dumb they can't think for themselves! ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 01:20:20 PM »
Hello and welcome from Orkney,
Certainly looks like one worth doing and also that you are proceeding well. I have a good friend on Lismore who is up to the same tricks as you and I.  I sometimes meet up with another friend from South and we have Springtime tour of the Wild West - might meet up for a brew sometime.  I'm on with another 400/4 at the moment - engine out next for the usual cam chain, repair tensioner and fettle the cosmetics.
Keep in touch with your progress,
Ian

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 03:41:05 PM »
Good luck with it, 550k are great bikes in my oppinion. Yours looks quite tidy. I agree with you the alloys look quite smart, I had a 550k3 with comstar alloys and quite liked the look, and the twin disks.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »
Welcome from the other end of the UK. Don't know the land side of West of Glasgow very well (only the Airport) but used to sail out of Inverkip quite often, beautiful place, fantastic sailing
Julie
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 05:39:10 PM »
Welcome. Are you going to put the original wheels back on? why people change them is a strange thing, spokes look so much better. Nice to see it still has the 4 into 4 exhausts.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 05:40:44 PM »
Diode doesnt stop the neutral light comming but stops the starter working unless either the green light is on OR the clutch lever pulled in

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 05:55:16 PM »
Hi bigmockuk, welcome to the forum fella
pete

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 07:10:37 PM »
Plus one with me too
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 07:17:43 PM »
welcome, the 550 is a great bike good luck with it
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline archmill

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »
Greetings from Motherwell

Archmill

Offline bigmockuk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 07:43:55 PM »
Hi Thanks for all the Greets and comments! feel at home already haha Im Thinking the P.O changed the wheels due to the weight of the fairing and the two panniers i removed,the front having the extra braking power of the disc brakes,not sure tho.3 of the orignal pipes are good except the bafles look like they have collapsed? the other pipe is blowing but may be sorted.I am at this very mo looking at the carbs on the bedroom floor lol,it was getting cold/dark up the garage so took my work home with me,the carbs are,i believe fully functional/clean but it was real tricky getting the o-rings/washers back into the slow running mixture orifice! finally used a wooden tapered artist paint brush to locate the rubbers.i see the float chambers for this carb should be 14.5mm? would it hurt to set them at 1.5cm which is what i have on my ruler? thanks everyone i`ll keep things updated!!

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
Yep, welcome from me. Nice to post pics when introducing your bike.

Looks like the PO swapped the front end - may be 750F2 or 650, not expert enough to know. Agree about spokes but always liked (non-reverse) comstars as you appear to have. All depends on whether you hanker for the original spec...

Good luck with it.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 08:25:50 PM »
Hello and welcome. From the photo's it does look exceptionally clean for it's age. The idea of that diode is so you cannot start it in gear unless the clutch is pulled in, American safety legislation I'm afraid, obviously they are that dumb they can't think for themselves! ;D
On my VFR the ignition is cut if you engage gear with the side stand down. Now that *is* a worthwhile feature!!  ::)
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 07:51:38 AM »
You need to get the pilot jets out, they are a press in fit and removal has been discused on here many times

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal