Author Topic: camshaft valve timing  (Read 1432 times)

Offline bigmockuk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
camshaft valve timing
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:15:40 PM »
Hi all, just how easy is it to mis-align the cam sprocket by one tooth when doing a rebuild? considering the sprocket has no marks or would this matter? Im used to singles/twins but first time on a four.I had no 3 spitting back thru the carb before dismantle,lapped in all valves which were`nt that bad! so working backwards to find if a P.O made a mistake?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: camshaft valve timing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:35:50 AM »
The Marks are on the cam and crank and yes its easy to get one toth out and yes it matters a lot

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
Spitting back thru the carbs can be a problem with the carbs sucking air. Check the carb rubbers first. If they are OK then you will have to strip the carbs. Know of a CB550K3 doing this and it was a split in the brass tube in the float bowl.

Offline bigmockuk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »
Thanks guys,when i say no3 carb was spitting back i actually had the air filter box off at the time,had just set float heights and was checking for leaks when i noticed my palm getting wet when turning engine over or would be normal with the air box off? half expected no3 inlet valve had a bad seat but all was well

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal