Author Topic: New (Honda-less!) member from Derby  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Frank.derby

• View Profile
New (Honda-less!) member from Derby
« on: December 24, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »
Hi everybody, I am Frank from Derby Uk. 58 years old
I am big into the bikes that were around when I was a kid, (late 60's to mid 70's )
Obviously that's exactly the when the sohc cb750 was around.
I am into the Kawasaki's of that era, z1 and H2, I have had many bikes over the years, but I have never owned a Honda!! Mainly because back in the day I had a Z1 and my mate had a Cb750 and we would always argue who's was the best bike!
I now want to own a Honda, I will be on the lookout for ideally a nice early ish cb750, so I felt joining this forum may be a good starting point!
Happy Christmas everyone
Frank
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:56:54 PM by Frank.derby »

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: New (Honda-less!) member from Derby
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 08:00:03 PM »
Welcome and best of luck finding an early one bit like RHShite
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 08:02:13 PM »
Welcome. A few early ones about but, not cheap.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »
If you have Z1 and H2, you'll probably be surprised at how "available" CB750s are.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 08:32:04 PM »
You could be well right there Steve good bargaining tools to have
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Frank.derby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 11:45:32 PM »
Thanks for your comments so far,
did the models progressively improve over the years?
Are some models better than others?
I saw a sandcast on eBay recently for £55k so I won't be in the market for one of those!
I thought possibly K1 or K2, ideally one not needing work, (or not too much!) I already have too many projects on the go.
What sort of money do you think I will need?
Many thanks for all your help
Frank

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 12:11:11 PM »
Welcome Frank
I prefer the k1's as I'm not a fan of the chrome fork ears.  ;)

K2's tend to be marginally cheaper.If you don't want to spend to much on a restoration try and find one with a nice set of pipes.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »

K2's tend to be marginally cheaper.If you don't want to spend to much on a restoration try and find one with a nice set of pipes.
Only if you believe in father xmas though.Good hunting wish you the best
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »
Prices on the K2 can differ. The early 1972 UK ones are about the same as the K1 now. The cheaper K2's are the post 1972 and USA units.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 12:36:17 AM »
Buy a restored one, genrally if a bike costs 6k to restore it winds up selling for 4 or 5k I get the inpresson, not that it matters too much as long as you enjoy it. Personally my bikes cost well under a grand and cost very little to run, but they would offend the delicate sensabilities of many classic owners as chrome is where the cash goes. Probably I am telling you what you can figure out for yourself though. I prefer the 500's being a bit on the short side. I always fancied a bigger Kh, after my first bike was a Kh125, but had to sit down after seening what a 500 tripple cost even a few years back.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »
Hello frank and welcome to the forum  ;) cheers Mick

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »

Buy a restored one, genrally if a bike costs 6k to restore it winds up selling for 4 or 5k I get the inpresson, not that it matters too much as long as you enjoy it. Personally my bikes cost well under a grand and cost very little to run, but they would offend the delicate sensabilities of many classic owners as chrome is where the cash goes. Probably I am telling you what you can figure out for yourself though. I prefer the 500's being a bit on the short side. I always fancied a bigger Kh, after my first bike was a Kh125, but had to sit down after seening what a 500 tripple cost even a few years back.
I doubt very much you'll find a good quality K1 or K2 in fully restored (properly restored) condition for anywhere near this figure. Decent unrestored K1's are 6k+ now. Frank in london recently sold a fully restored K1 for £18k so you'll need deep pockets unless you find someone who doesn't know what it's worth or is desperate to sell.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 02:56:08 PM »

I doubt very much you'll find a good quality K1 or K2 in fully restored (properly restored) condition for anywhere near this figure. Decent unrestored K1's are 6k+ now. Frank in london recently sold a fully restored K1 for £18k so you'll need deep pockets unless you find someone who doesn't know what it's worth or is desperate to sell.

Your right on this James.
I sold the last UK K1 i did for £11,500 and the UK K2 went for £8,750. There was a UK K2 on ebay a couple of months ago that sold for 7K in less than 12 hours.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
Oh and apologies Frank, should have said welcome. Great bunch of guys on this forum with a lot of SOHC knowledge to share and soak up. Z1 and H2 are quite different beasts - I'm biased, having owned both and H2 snd more recently a Z1 which I still have - but for pure riding enjoyment / purity I don't think you can beat the SOHC's of this era. If it were my money I'd go for the K1 with HM300 pipes - awesome sounding and great riding!!!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 06:46:19 PM »
Hi frank and welcome, btw you should have a word with james i am pretty sure he is selling a k1 and a k2,,, james correct me if i am wrong
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal