Author Topic: Letter to Honda UK  (Read 3972 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Letter to Honda UK
« on: December 25, 2014, 08:20:54 PM »
SENT THIS LETTER TO HONDA UK AND GOT REPLY AS SCANNED BELOW .

As one 'reader' summed up:-

"I think that this is the most vacuous corporate flannel I have ever read.  Good luck with pursuing this."

Also see   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=143715.0

Pursuing this further in the New Year. I will post any further progress.

Ash

East Yorkshire.
                           HU10
                           Tel. 07515121226
Honda (UK),
Customer services  - Motorcycles,
470 London Road,
Slough,
Berkshire.
SL3 8QY.

16th November 2014.

By Post and eMail

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am currently restoring four classic Honda motorcycles from the late 1960’s and ‘70’s. A 1969 CB750K0, 1969 CB250K0, 1975 CB400F and 1969 CB350K1 model.

I represent the Honda Single Overhead  Cam Owners Club online  forum,  which has approximately 1250 active members in the UK. (sohc.co.uk).

My CB750 is a rare 1969 model imported by Honda UK in January 1970 and was  part of  the very first shipment of 20 machines of that iconic model, officially sold in the UK.

In late 2008 I started restoring  my CB750K0 and found that Honda,
commendably, were still selling some of the major  new parts for my machine, most notably the exhaust system. However, I contacted you via telephone in 2009 asking if the original seat was ever going to be officially reproduced. Your reply to me then was that it would never be re-manufactured  by Honda because it was superseded by a later model seat, still having the xxx-300- xxxx part number and that this part was still manufactured, readily available and a perfect fit.

In recent years the exhaust system has become NLA (No Longer Available) as has the ‘300’ part number CB750K1 seat.

Recently I have found that there are a couple of manufacturers in Japan who are faithfully reproducing the original pattern CB750K0 seat. One of these reproduction seats is, in fact, fitted to the CB750 sand-cast motorcycle exhibited in the Honda Museum collection in Japan.  I am therefore dismayed that Honda Europe have prevented UK distributors selling  the exact replica  Japanese seats, within the UK and threatened them with legal action if they do so. The reason for this is that the item concerned is marked with the HONDA logo

The numerous restorers of your classic motorcycles, like myself, are in fact promoting your products and drawing attention to the fact that you were the first company to mass produce a 4-cylinder in-line ‘Superbike’ motorcycle. However, we are prevented from faithfully reproducing the original look of the bike because you no longer manufacture the part but prevent anyone else from selling a faithful replica of it in the UK.

It was Mr. Soichiro  Honda’s ’dream’ that parts for his motorcycles would always be available. I appreciate that this is not a commercially viable proposition but you should allow a handful of manufacturers to submit exact replica  items, reproduced for rare ‘significant historical value’ models and for you to approve their sales and distribution, worldwide.

What really annoys me is that the ban on selling the reproduction seats, carrying the HONDA logo is not policed worldwide; it only apparently applies to Europe including the UK.

I hope that you can find time to investigate this and give the matter some careful and compassionate consideration. If I do not get a reply or a standard ‘corporate’ reply then I can only assume that you do not care about the restorers of your classic models or the wishes of your founder Mr. Soichiro Honda.

I must point out that I not only speak for myself on this matter but also for a large number of sohc.co.uk forum members, who feel the same as me and are totally disappointed and annoyed at Honda’s actions, so far. If there is no satisfactory conclusion then I will copy this letter and any responses to the classic motorcycling press.

I can also add that in the last version of the Honda CB750K1 seat you officially sold, Genuine  part number  77200-300-030A, there was a safety issue in  that there was no form of security  fastener on the screw retaining the pillion strap, which was present on the original part and is also fitted to the Japanese reproduction part I have seen. Therefore the fastening screw could easily unscrew. I did telephone you some years ago, alerting you of this fact.

Kind regards,

Ashley Derrick .  East Yorkshire UK

Forum member ‘ashimotoK0’  on  www.sohc.co.uk

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Letter to Honda UK
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 08:43:07 PM »
Ash
WELCOME HOME MATE.
I am with you 100 percent great letter and I hope your battle with the dipsticks at Honda gain some ground but I feel since the great Honda man is no longer with us rings no bells but I adore your persistence which I think is with the great Sirochiro in mind ,who I think is turning in his grave the way Honda is conducting themselves
What more can anyone can say to convince these Muppet's at Honda to change there minds?
Cheer
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 09:03:06 PM »
Ash,
you must play them at there own game. Look at the country's that Honda do not have any copy right law's such as eastern europe were not so long ago a Honda was never seen or sold. These country's can buy any copy Honda products without any hassle. And because these eastern country's are now in europe a loophole has been created  ;)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
Good view and opinion there Trig mind boggles
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »
quite a bland corporate reply,sounds just like a modern politician !!

just reply firmly,and politely to Sarah,asking who she sent the letter to,and their position,

hopefully they,"Honda" will not brush it under the carpet,
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »
Hi Ash, and welcome back!

Excellent letter outlining many important points, you did well to receive a reply.

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline csd4t

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »
I have noticed Honda have also removed their downloadable motorcycle logos from most websites as well, strangely the car logos seem to be ok though. Looking for the "750 four" logo if anyone has it in vector format.
There is no F in cod

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
In my experience, 'complaints' (particularly those of a polite and constructive nature) should always be addressed personally to the most senior person you can locate (chairman or CEO). Even if you end up with a 'corporate' reply, you can be sure it will have been fully considered before some underling writes a reply on behalf of their chairman that may well end up on BBC Watchdog or some such.

Maybe a letter to Japan?...

Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 11:19:33 PM »
Pretty poor response, given last time I bought parts for my bmws they were boasting that Every part for every bmw bike ever made were still available. Are Honda willing to be second best to the Baverians? So far I very much prefer the Honda products, but do own both.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Erling

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 07:12:38 AM »
Do have an opinion on this matter. My SC from new did not change gear as sweet as I expected. Asked the dealer but got no help. Wrote Japan but was told to go to my dealer! Gear change problem too on the Fireblade '96. Dealer suggested I learned to change gear properly, or just buy another Honda! Why when he could not rectify this one? He tried though by exchanging the star for keeping gear in position. Next years model had a broader one with a stronger spring. But it did not help. Did not go to the trouble of contacting  Japan. Friend told me to ask on Google about gearbox problems CBR 900 '96. And see several others had the same problem. Can't do an evenings ride without at some timer it sticks in gear and won't change. Dealer told me to have it rectified by those on the net who apparently knew. Think dealer dare not ask Japan for help revealing he does not know all. And this is about the only thing to spoil my joy riding the Blade. Except it has burned/melted several generators on daylong rides round Europe.
 Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
         Erling.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 12:40:59 PM »
just found out about Suzukis back up for "vintage" and "classic" models,

seems they want to preserve their heritage ,
maybe we could suggest something like this to Honda ??

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/motorcycles/my-suzuki/vintage-parts/vintage-bikes/vintage-bikes/1/

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 01:59:01 PM »
Had a look at the suzuki site, in particular gt750, there isn't really that much there, no fuel tanks, exhaust pipes etc, just little bits and bobs, I'd say at a guess that Honda can still provide more parts per bike across the range. All suzuki seem to have done is found what some of their modern bikes use and what fits the older stuff, renumbered the parts and jacked the prices up!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 02:32:06 PM »
Had a look at the suzuki site, in particular gt750, there isn't really that much there, no fuel tanks, exhaust pipes etc, just little bits and bobs, I'd say at a guess that Honda can still provide more parts per bike across the range. All suzuki seem to have done is found what some of their modern bikes use and what fits the older stuff, renumbered the parts and jacked the prices up!

that was my thought,
 maybe it was set up to gauge demand? maybe they might use it to see what response there is?

at least they have set up a section devoted to keeping old(er) models roadworthy.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »
Nice one Sarah. Love the line "I am pleased to learn that you own a number of rare motorcycles but that you are unable to source certain parts for them" She sounds pleased that you cant get parts. Didn't even start to address the letters main point about a third party selling Honda branded parts. A fob off I think, just a corporate response to protect its dealers. Nice try though Ash, would be amazed if Honda changes its stance over what it sees as basically pirate goods.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »
Bloody busy at work at the 'mo but will definitely take it further once I have a bit more free time on my hands. Sadly not expecting any joy but all you can do is try.

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal