Author Topic: 550 kickstart mechanism  (Read 1794 times)

Offline redcobal

• View Profile
550 kickstart mechanism
« on: January 01, 2015, 04:35:53 PM »
Hi Everyone. Does anyone know if I need to strip the engine to replace the kickstart mechanism or can I just take off the clutch cover?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 550 kickstart mechanism
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 06:46:40 PM »
Complete bottom case off sorry, although a couple of peeps have said they did the internal circlip through the sump pan---my hands to old and big for that!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
I have done one through the sump in the past, fiddly but worth the effort to save an engine stripdown. However, before going in, all guns blazing, bear in mind I have had a few cb550 bikes where the kickstarter wasn't working - apparently, as in it failed to engage the engine when operated, often after an overhaul. Really odd as during the engine overhaul I would be using it a lot to check all the gears mesh etc etc, only to find it not engaging when trying to start the completed bike. Oddly the fault self cured after a shake down run - had it happen a few times either just after a rebuild or on bikes ( well engines) that have been stood for some time, though often they will have workedc fine for a few dozen operations, then start playing up. Never seem to get it once a bike is in regular use.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 07:11:35 PM »
Complete bottom case off sorry, although a couple of peeps have said they did the internal circlip through the sump pan---my hands to old and big for that!!

Have tried getting the clip off a few times but, could never do it Bryan.
Engine upside down and remove the lower crank case. Then you will find the primary chain needs replacing and end up doing a total strip.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 10:47:20 PM »
I used the cheap interchangeable head circlip pliers and not decent / expensive dedicated ones like the pro mechanic might use. This might help - the play in the interchangeable heads might be what made the difference. I definitely have done at last 2 this way.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline redcobal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
Thanks Guys. Looks like I've got to to take the lump out
Only just put it in. Oh well!

Offline okalandnorway

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 06:39:39 PM »
Hi. I have just done this true the oilsump, not splitting the cases. Not easy, but work for me. Had the engine out of frame, set it up on cases and you can do the job more easy.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 11:12:34 PM »
If you are determined and have something to work at the right hight  - say a hydraulic bike lift I seem to recall having done one though the sump whilst in the bike many years ago, but probably easier to pull the engine out. Make life easier and give yourself the best chance of success.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal