Author Topic: F2 Indicator problem  (Read 5288 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
F2 Indicator problem
« on: January 03, 2015, 04:28:57 PM »
Hi. Suddenly got a problem with the indicators on my old unrestored F2 that I use as a daily runaround. Nothing has been touched, but now when I use the indicators I get two flashes then they come on permanently lit. It is the same on both sides. Have changed the flasher relay unit to a known good item, and checked the earths where possible to get to them. Still doing the same. Anybody got any ideas how to proceed, am a bit stumped now. Cheers, and thanks in advance.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: F2 Indicator problem
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 06:44:38 PM »
Is that with the engine running? has to have a really good battery to work without

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »
Its a new battery, that's kept on an optimizer. And yes it is with engine running and stopped. Both sides doing the same thing. Have disconnected the earth cable to rear and indicator goes very dim then bright again when reconnected. Done the same with the front. Suggests the earth to the indicators is okay? Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 08:50:08 PM »
That kind of problem is usually the relay.With the old one connect it back up but run a earth wire to the side of it and if it works there you go.Even I have put the wrong colour wire to the  the male prong make sure the grey and black is on the right terminals
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »
That kind of problem is usually the relay.With the old one connect it back up but run a earth wire to the side of it and if it works there you go.Even I have put the wrong colour wire to the  the male prong make sure the grey and black is on the right terminals
Cheers
Bitsa

Everytime i get those wires wrong it blows the fuse. My CD250 indicator sometimes comes on without flashing then, starts to flash. Does this about 1 in 8 times.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:38:04 PM »
I had a 125 if you turned the indicators on they would light up without flashing it turned out to be a dirty switch a good dosing of contact cleaner and all was well.
My 250u had a bulb corrode and seize solid inside the indicator and it caused a similar problem to what yours is doing Trig.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 10:50:46 PM »
I had a 125 if you turned the indicators on they would light up without flashing it turned out to be a dirty switch a good dosing of contact cleaner and all was well.
My 250u had a bulb corrode and seize solid inside the indicator and it caused a similar problem to what yours is doing Trig.

Mick

Will have a look. Switch is well lubed up, all bullets cleaned and changed the relay. Never thought about the bulbs. Has a weird system on those 250u's. If the head light blows, the main beam light on the idiot lights comes on. Though you have not noticed that you are riding in the dark. 

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 10:56:37 PM »
That's strange I don't remember them doing that mind you I never looked at the clocks just thrashed it everywhere

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »
Hi Roy, since the fault you describe came on suddenly, and is common to both L & R I guess you can rule out those bulbs / holders / wirings & their associated earths. You need to look at what's common to both L&R sides... ie the pilot lamp, indicator switch, relay, ign switch, battery... and the wirings in between these.

Can I suggest, as a starter for 10 you take a jumper lead & put it directly between...

A & B (if problem cured a fault with the ignition switch (unlikely), or black wire to Relay
C & D (ign ON, Ind switch OFF. If (L) lights flash ok likely a problem in the white wire or ind switch. 'D' can be ANY point easily found in the 'orange' circuit)
C & E (ign ON, Ind switch OFF. If (R) lights flash ok likely a problem in the white wire or ind switch. 'E' can be ANY point easily found in the 'light blue' circuit)
C & F if you can somehow get to the indicator switch feed. Failing this a jumper from C to the switch loom feed in the headlamp shell (?) - sorry, unfamiliar with the F2. If the lights work now (with L or R selection) it suggests a problem in the white wire ... perhaps the twisting headstock?

Note that when doing each of the above checks there is no need to disconnect any bullets / existing connections.

Hope this of use, as a tip if you've fancy OEM type fuses in the holder replace 'em with common house ones (with roughly the same rating) whilst you 'fiddle'
Simon
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:37:38 AM by Lobo »

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 11:03:41 AM »
Thanks Lobo, that looks like a comprehensive plan will give it a go during the week when work allows. Still using the bike until then. Is it impossible for a fault on one side to effect the opposite side? Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 11:29:29 AM »
Lobo. Just noticed on your sketch that the relay has a ground cable to it. I don't have that on mine (nor is there a position on the relay to connect it to), but there is a green cable nearby that goes nowhere (although its worked like that for years). My other F2 has exactly the same setup. Also the rear light being rubber mounted, has a common ground wire running over the rear mudguard. If that's faulty would it cause that problem? If it is a live feed problem, strange that the indicators light up full bright and flash a few times before going steady. wouldn't they be disrupted in some way if a live feed were bad. Cant wait to get home and have a fiddle now!! Thanks.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 02:10:52 PM »
.... that relay ground cable... Yup, I'm on an old K2; though led to believe the set-ups very similar.

The 'old' relays are indeed earthed, and have a lovely mechanical "tick-tick-tick" to 'em. A newer solid state relay can indeed be substituted.... I bought both my old Hondas with the modern two-pin only units , ie the black & white ... with the earth (Green) unused. (have reverted them both to OEM)

I take your point on 'how come they light up if a power problem?' Need someone smarter than me here... but these indicator circuits are 'balanced' for want of a better word.... ie the relay 'flashes' according to the current through it. (BI-metallic strip heating up / cooling down). If the current flowing in the circuit is not within design limits the relay will either flash ultra quickly... or not at all. Reasons for changes in the circuit?.... incorrect wattage bulbs used, a bulb failed, pilot lamp failed, corrosion (may be within a wire), poor connections etc.  (pilot lamp unlikely I guess to be your problem)
Because you described both L & R sides failing together I surmised its likely common components to both.

If the rear indicators are lighting up it implies current is flowing freely through them to earth... ie I can't see the rear lamp grounding wire being an issue..

Roy... I've not got years of old Honda experience, and often as not some old hand will put a finger on your problem immediately. Until this time this is the best I can offer...

Cheers,
Simon.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:15:34 PM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 02:51:15 PM »
You asked earlier about a fault one side affecting the other. If your F2 circuit is as above, I don't see how as the indicator switch basically sends the current down one side of the bike... or the other.

BUT... if say your pilot lamp had failed closed circuit (ie shorted)... now all 4 indicators would be trying to work... and may well likely fail full on.

But this isn't quite the scenario you describe...

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 06:31:57 PM »
Also the F2 has left and right pilot lamps (not a single as per K2) and they both are working the same as the indicators. Ran out of time today so will have a look in the week. If I sort it I shall let you know what it is. Cheers Roy.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 12:12:59 AM »
Hi Roy, saw from the Tacho posting that your indicators still playing you up...

.... what a bloody shame; I'm sure we'll all kick ourselves when we eventually learn the problem - it pains me to think you're considering paying a professional!

Horses for courses I know, but this is 70s technology & shouldn't be hard to fathom; eg test each bit of the circuit in isolation until you narrow down on the fault.

As a parting thought are the 2nd bike's indicator values (wattages) / flasher unit all the same spec as the 'poorly' bike? (if not it's no use in substituting the 'good flasher' & expecting it to work.

Does the 'poorly' bike's flasher work fine in the good bike?

It does perhaps smack of a (low) voltage problem (as Bryan suggested).... a job for that new meter!

Cheers,
Simon

PS... in a previous life I used to live in Newton-with-Scales (nr Kirkham); worked down the road at BAe Warton. Lovely spot; the missus (B'pool Vic hospital nurse) & I had some good times there...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:03:14 AM by Lobo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal