Author Topic: Ignition dilemma  (Read 14586 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition dilemma
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 07:03:38 PM »
Did you cry once a year Bryan? ;) ;)
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 10:03:27 PM »
I've been reading along here and trying to get my head around the electrics.  My coils are done and need to be replaced, so was considering a set of dyna coils - would these stronger coils impact the standard points system?  Does more current then run through the points, thus making the Hondaman setup a good idea?
Nothing like reading a few threads to feel ignorant again!  ☺

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2015, 10:17:08 PM »
I've been reading along here and trying to get my head around the electrics.  My coils are done and need to be replaced, so was considering a set of dyna coils - would these stronger coils impact the standard points system?  Does more current then run through the points, thus making the Hondaman setup a good idea?
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2015, 10:30:19 PM »

Is this the statement that Hondaman wrote  ;D

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2015, 10:32:54 PM »
So out of my depth! 

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2015, 08:10:41 AM »
No Bitsa, as you well know after a 13 hour night shift my keyboard is dyslexic

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 09:08:10 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2015, 09:40:46 AM »

Can't be.

The whole point about high performance coils is that they offer a lower impedence and hence generate a higher current when active. The voltage in the secondary (HT leads in this case) is a function of the rate of change of the current (not the level of current itself).
When the points open, the current in the coils falls at a huge rate (1000's of Amps per second) and the large HT voltage is generated in the secondary.
Cutting the current back down to standard won't give you a fatter spark unless the secondary has more copper turns.

When the points are closed, the higher current flows through the coil. It doesn't generate anything at that stage - just burns power!

Steve (BSc Eng University of Sussex 1976-79)

I could do the differential calculus back then...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »
Oh my goodness. Electrics in the human body are soooooooo much simpler. Either they work or they don't !!!
Julie
MSc BSc(Hons) RGN
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2015, 11:19:08 AM »
One day I am going to reproduce a modern version of the CDI I designed and  made for my original 400/4 back in 1978 (whacked the standard coils with 400VDC switched by a thyristor from a capacitor (the cappy was a spare  from my Pye valve colour TV at the time!). Retained original points (Honda Genuine) never needed re-timing and did 22k miles before I sold it. Bike was last taxed in 2013 .... wonder if my CDI system is still fitted ... XDN128R. During initial testing the bike backfired and  almost blew my garage door off.

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »
Don't remind me about differential calculus!

Anyway, I fitted a dyna system as well as Dyna coils a few years back.  It now pulls like a train going up hill.  The new coils are also rain proof - the OEM ones used to suffer from getting wet, despite all the sealant.
What I like about the Dyna is there's no extra box of electronics to wire in; it's all on the points plate.  I had to add an extra lead to supply 12v to the points plate but that was it.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2015, 07:19:33 PM »

Can't be.

The whole point about high performance coils is that they offer a lower impedence and hence generate a higher current when active. The voltage in the secondary (HT leads in this case) is a function of the rate of change of the current (not the level of current itself).
When the points open, the current in the coils falls at a huge rate (1000's of Amps per second) and the large HT voltage is generated in the secondary.
Cutting the current back down to standard won't give you a fatter spark unless the secondary has more copper turns.

When the points are closed, the higher current flows through the coil. It doesn't generate anything at that stage - just burns power!

I copied it from his sohc shop page so i presume it is
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »

Can't be.

I copied it from his sohc shop page so i presume it is

;D ;D ;D

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2015, 08:45:23 PM »
I'm so, glad there is someone who struggling with understanding it too.
I thought the answer is simply pay another 99 to DS for electronic ignition... how wrong I was.

Still since I don't have 99 so I have to use original ignition, and it seems it is not a bad idea after all!
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »
I'm so, glad there is someone who struggling with understanding it too.
I thought the answer is simply pay another 99 to DS for electronic ignition... how wrong I was.

Still since I don't have 99 so I have to use original ignition, and it seems it is not a bad idea after all!
I bought one from ds for the 400.i had to send it back,really really bad quality.
It was worth paying an extra £25 for the dyna s
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal