Author Topic: Alloy Bearing retainer removal  (Read 5439 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Alloy Bearing retainer removal
« on: January 09, 2015, 06:47:46 AM »
I had 4 rear Hubs (CB250/350 ... similar to 400/350 Four) to remove. One hub had been on a rolling frame left out in the open for years. The clean looking 350K1 one is as it came off the bike I bought from a DK US import and never been cleaned . Not bad for a 45 year old part ! Note the 36  drilled 'dimples' on the early 250 / 350 K0/K1 only bikes fitted 1968/69 only, inbetween the spoke holes
I didn't have the correct tool so used two old twist drills clamped in the jaws of an old  machine vice, as in the picture, and all four retainers  came out easily with damage (despite the fact someone had previously 'had a go' at one of them). Only one of them was staked but I drilled this one slightly first. I did a similar thing with the 750K0 front wheel ring retainer with a piece of flat bar fitted into the jaws of the vice and this came out fine too. The K0 one was staked too so drilled out first. I clamped the hubs in the trusty old BD Workmate . (got one of the original alloy Workmates too)

The one with the sprocket had damaged sprocket retaining nuts and no large washer only the circlip. The sprocket would not shift ( I suspect a pattern sprocket with a slightly small centre hole has been forced on at some time) . I had to angle grind the sprocket off to remove the spokes. Going to mill into the remainder of the sprocket to try  remove it.

Ash

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:14:00 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Alloy Bearing retainer removal
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 09:19:05 AM »
Nice result Ash, I have seen hubs scrapped by peoples ham fisted attempts at removing them, oftem with a big hammer and a screwdriver:o, or worse, a cold chisel trying to turn it.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:52:49 AM »
Ash, how many bikes are you building ? Seems like a lot of hubs for 1 bike.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »

I need one  for my CB250K0 and one for my CB350K1 but while I had the bodgy tool out I decided I would strip all of the hubs I have. i also did both CB750 front hubs at the same time but the rear one I stripped way back.

That non removable sprocket is a bit of a mystery though? It was from a US import CL350K3.
Does anyone know if this hub is the same as the 400/4 rear?

Ash
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:11:00 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »

I need one  for my CB250K0 and one for my CB350K1 but while I had the bodgy tool out I decided I would strip all of the hubs I have. i also did both CB750 front hubs at the same time but the rear one I stripped way back.

That non removable sprocket is a bit of a mystery though? It was from a US import CL350K3.

Ash

Not the same hub as the 400f mate.

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »
Can you get a hub puller around whats left of the sprocket ?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 02:03:55 PM »

Possibly. i do have a combined lathe milling machine though, so I could possibly mill it off.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »
Nice bit of kit there Ash.Did look on the dutch crowd parts list of cl350 and to me it looks similar the studs go into bushes on the hub but should be able to remove once nuts and tags off.Then it confused me a bit when clicking on the sprocket as if your were ordering it showed it complete with studs and tags :o
All the best
Ralph
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 03:49:37 PM »

I would go with that seeing the studs and mounts would need to come out.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »

Ash

No definately not the same as 400/4. Im sitting here with my back wheel in bits at the moment, on the kitchen table like you do ;D , fitting new chain,sprocket and bearing etc, all came apart no problem. Didn't even need to use a hammer, which makes a change for me !!!!
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 05:01:27 PM »

Ash

No definately not the same as 400/4. Im sitting here with my back wheel in bits at the moment, on the kitchen table like you do ;D , fitting new chain,sprocket and bearing etc, all came apart no problem. Didn't even need to use a hammer, which makes a change for me !!!!

Don't tell me that you are using the rear hub as a Angel cake tin ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 05:08:45 PM »
I hope your not taking the piss Graham  ;D ;D ;D. No, not baking a cake today, made a bacon and onion suet rolypoly earlier, so just putting that on to steam whilst polishing the hub.  :-* :-*
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 05:53:04 PM »
I hope your not taking the piss Graham  ;D ;D ;D. No, not baking a cake today, made a bacon and onion suet rolypoly earlier, so just putting that on to steam whilst polishing the hub.  :-* :-*

Would i do that girl?  ;) I am sweet and innocent  ;D ;D

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 06:51:52 PM »
Trig In yer dreams git ;)
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »
A 400/4 Rear hub fresh out of the oven  :D
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal