Author Topic: Workshop tachometer.  (Read 2043 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Workshop tachometer.
« on: January 10, 2015, 07:09:12 PM »
Looking for an automotive multimeter with induction loop, mainly for the RPM setting to set up the slow idle screws (but also for other functions). Has anybody got any recommendations, must be affordable as it wont be used much. Also am I correct in saying that for ignition purposes a CB750 is twin cylinder due to the lost spark thingy. Most multimeters seem to do 4,6 &  cylinders? Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop tachometer.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »
Royall
Its not a lost spark but a wasted spark 1-4 spark together same as 2-3
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 08:25:21 PM »
I have a laser tachometer, reads a white stripe of paint or tipex with a laser just like a barcode scanner and tels you the rpm, it was under £15 off ebay but seems to do the job ok - not bought for bike, I used it to setup our landrover  and haybaler to roughly the right rpm, but it comes in handy for testing what rpm mystery electric motors off ebay run at etc.
If you prefer the multi meter option go to a few classic vehicle rallies with auto jumbles. I don't do electronics if I can at all help it but have a collection of multi metres etc from auto jumbles to test and see what I get on with, I've picked up Gunson's and Avo metres for under £5 each in the past few years. Can be worth going to those events just for the cheap auto jumbles. 
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »
Cheers Bitsa. Couldn't just remember what they called that spark (due to the lost spark thingy) just when I was writing it. Senior moment again. Am I correct in saying for ignition purposes its effectively a twin cylinder. Can matter on some multimeters with RPM function. Electrics isnt my strong point but am learning rapidly, shame I will have forgotten it all by the time I do the next bike. Ohh to be 21 again.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 01:29:56 PM »
No worries have em all the time.You have a multimeter with rev counter on it?Never seen one my strobe light does have a counter on it though. :D
Cheers
Bitsa
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:36:56 PM by Bitsa »
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »
Hi Roy,

As far as I understand it the induction loop clips around a (any) spark plug HT lead. The meter then counts the HT pulses (ie sparks); works out the equivalent number over a minute; & then displays this as number of sparks / minute.... Ie RPM. There is only one meter selection to make... ie 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

If its a 2 stroke the pulses will be one / revolution, and the read out directly according to a minutes worth. 

If its a 4-stroke the pulses will be every other revolution, ie the digital readout value will be double the value of the sensed pulses / min to indicate the correct RPM.

You have a good old SOHC with its wasted spark, ie firing every revolution. As far as the meter's concerned its a 2-stroke (sacre-bleu!) .... and so you should select this on the setting.

The multiple cylinder selections are for dwell angle values, when the thing is typically connected to the distributer.

As a parting comment, can I suggest you use your ears & nous .... ie if the tick-over sounds like 1200.... but the meter says 600... well just double all values you see.

Honestly I've never owned such a meter, and stand to be fully corrected.

Often you can download PDF instructions to these meters.... might be worth a look if you've a certain one in mind.

Simon

PS.... just found these below off such a PDF file...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:23:36 PM by Lobo »

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 04:37:43 PM »
Cheers Simon your a handy chap to have on here. Have decided on a meter on EBay, http://www.eBay.co.uk/itm/261135696592?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. Think it will do everything I need, and not too dear at £55. Now I think about it your right about the two stroke thing, I knew it should be divided by two for some reason just couldn't remember why. Two stroke not twin cylinder. Jeez I think I may be getting thicker. Cheers for your help.
PS. Not managed to fix the indicators on my other bike yet, turning into a real mystery? May have to enlist professional help on that one.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 11:55:58 PM »
That meter looks the bees knees... good to see it has a 10A capability.

Am 'disappointed' you didn't get to the bottom of your indicator issue... have posted there.

Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:08:12 AM by Lobo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal