Author Topic: new tyres !! again !!  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
new tyres !! again !!
« on: January 11, 2015, 04:59:30 PM »
  3 years,and 5,000 miles ago I fitted a set of Dunlop Street smart tyres,

3.25 X 19 F

4.00 X 18 rear,

after 5K miles I need to replace both,

going back to AM26 Avons,as they seem just to have little more feel,

the Dunlops gripped well,both wet and dry,but the center groove in the front seems to make squirming when braking,

will see if Avons are as good as 3 yrs ago

CB500 - 4 ,M plate
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: new tyres !! again !!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 05:11:39 PM »
I have Continental rb2 on the front and k112 on the rear.They have done about 3000 miles and don't show much wear yet.
I can't get on with Dunlops on any bike
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 05:16:59 PM »
Tyre's are easy. The more hard wearing, the less the grip. The less hard wearing, the better the grip. 5,000 miles is not bad John.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 05:23:21 PM »
I like my Conti's they look the part and grip well enough to drag the pegs they also track perfectly straight in the wet at speed.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »
I've alway stuck with Avons, AM26's just being a modern version of the good old Roadrunners. I tend to ride quite hard, and I'm happy if I get 2,500 miles from the rear and 4,000 from the front. In my youth I could destroy a rear Roadrunner in about 1500 miles:)) not great mileage, but have never had any really scary moments with Avon's, even in the wet, good predictable tyres, and with a 750F1 the tyres need to do that!:))
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 07:26:55 PM »
hi Hairy git,

it seems you and I live in rural area,were we can twist the grip and enjoy the bikes,

that is why the tyres need to grip !!!

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:33:58 PM »
Absolutely, Devon has some amazing roads, as good as Wales, but with less rain! Actually in a small village about 5 miles from Exeter and the M5, and about 15miles from Dartmoor, incredible roads!:)):))

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »
The old roadrunners had a hard compound center and soft sides. After a while it would step.
AM21 on the rear was the dispatch riders choice, and a ME33 on the front. 

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 08:00:48 PM »
The old roadrunners had a hard compound center and soft sides. After a while it would step.
I'm thinking back further Trig, to the Roadrunner universal front or rear, just fit according to direction of use, although the AM20/21 tyres were good too:))

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 08:02:25 PM »
I'm thinking back further Trig, to the Roadrunner universal front or rear, just fit according to direction of use, although the AM20/21 tyres were good too:))

Is that when we had wooden spokes ;D

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »
Nah, when Honda made it's finest incarnation of the SOHC750, the F1, mid 70's onwards, at least when I went to school we had to watch out for such gems on the roads when crossing, you had to beware of T Rex's and stegosaurus!>:D

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 08:11:32 PM »
Yeah Trig wooden spokes and jokahama tyres I recall.Lasted ok but crap in frost ice snow Rain etc
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 07:11:03 AM »
If you are going back that far can you remember Dunlop ribbed regrade quality---Had one on a T110 years ago

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »
I find my Avon Speedmasters grip well on country roads and last for ages.  That square section looks all wrong but in reality can be pushed extremely hard.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »
My Suzuki gs125 had the original ribbed tyres (cannot remember - were they bridgestones? ) back in my early bke riding days. it had spent 18 years sat in a shed and the tyres still had some life in them so I ran them til they were dead. Pretty horrid doesn't begin to descibe the ride, especially with drum brakes front and rear, yet I thrashed that little bike to Hereford and back for most of a year, and used to reguarly touch the pegs down outside collage. I treated myself to some Pirrellis once my funds recovered enough from buying the bike - my first bike had given the wallett a pretty bad wallet bruising with it's piston holing habbit.
I like Avon speedmasters on a cb500, never been one to give a hoot about looks but milage and grip were both good and they 'felt right' I found some bike / tyre combos really feel bad on white lines - think some bridgestones on my bmw used to make it feel like it was flexing or climbing in and out of deep ruts att the time, it got better if they were pumped up ass high as allowable but new tyres inproved matters greatly. Conti tours used to both handle and last well, but the made the compound softer and my dad wore a rear tyre out in 3k miles last time he fitted a set and the front wasn't far behind , he contacted themand they said customer demand was for softer tyres. it put him off using the bike as the tyres aint cheap. His bmw has been gathering dust since.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal