Author Topic: Carb rubbers  (Read 13162 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Carb rubbers
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
Hi me again, sorry to be a pain. This F2 of mine doesn't want to be finished so it's putting up a fight.

Sorted my other carb problem with some scrounged bits (thanks for the comments).

Now I find the carb rubbers are so hard I cannot get the carbs on. Pushed and wriggled them so hard that at one point I actually lifted the bike off its centre stand, good job I had the front brake taped on. Anyways, before I order an unbelievably expensive new set, is there an easy way of softening them. I know Ash has a method using unobtainable noxious chemicals, but was hoping for an easier technique.

So far I have tried oiling the carbs and rubbers, heating rubbers with the wife's hair dryer (sschh), and brute force, sometimes rubber mallet assisted.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Carb rubbers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 04:53:48 PM »
It's not that it's particularly noxious but only available for  Industrial use I thin in largish quantities.

You can also use  Wintergreen essential oil mix as per SOHC4 site but can't vouch for it.

Depends how much of a rush you are for them but you could always send me them to soften but I'm really chocker with work at the 'mo so turnaround would be about a week.

Ash

Will have to work on the firm I get the Refos stuff from ...see if they will sell me a load ... but no promises.

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »
Thanks Ash, time isn't really an issue. To be honest don't really need the bike before the Classic TT. If I could take you up on your kind offer, I shall parcel them up and get them off to you. Could you PM me your address, and let me know the costs so I can reimburse you. Nice one. Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »
Thanks Ash, time isn't really an issue. To be honest don't really need the bike before the Classic TT. If I could take you up on your kind offer, I shall parcel them up and get them off to you. Could you PM me your address, and let me know the costs so I can reimburse you. Nice one. Cheers.

Will PM address .. don't want anything for doing them, I will just bung them in with some I am doing.

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »
PM sent

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 08:24:09 PM »
Cheers Ash got the PM. The job has reduced by 25% as I found a crack in one whilst packing them up. The others look okay so will whizz them off to you in the morning. No rush for them back, whenever you can fit them in. Many thanks.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »
Hi Roy,

Received carb rubbers safely  yesterday ...so will have a  go at them early next week.

Ash

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 09:25:30 AM »
Ash let me know if you ever manage to get anymore of the solution
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 12:00:19 PM »
Pete .. I am working on it .. I also need to find all of the rare 'O' rings I bought in bulk for sealing K0 heads/Large oil pump one etc  but found the others for oil pump.

I did give some of the softening stuff to ChrisR yonks ago and he said it didn't work but you have to leave it soaking for quite a long time at around 70 °C and it definitely does work. Think Chris said he only tried it in his shed at a fairly low temperature.

Ash

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:38:03 PM »
Thanks Ash. No rush with it.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-K7-intake-rubber-number-2-new-and-unused-/251805836887?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3aa0cc2657

Also I found one of the larger of the two types myself. Which one is split of the four you sent me...cant see it.

Ash
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:40:03 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 11:24:12 AM »
I should have made a note of this at my age with my memory lapses. It was definitely the right side of the bike, I think No.3. Its a small split at the top edge, on the engine side. Thanks Ash.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »
Had a go at Roy's rubbers tonight  ;D Bunged them in a glass dish containing  the Reofos 50 for about 5 hours, maintained at  75 deg C in a water bath. Used an old slow cooker to maintain the heat (don't ever accept any invitations down to our place for a casserole! ). Last night  "Off down to the pub dear don't turn off anything in the garage" Then she spots where her slow cooker disappeared to ....  well I found it in the loft ...unloved for about 15 years !

Because they are relatively rare parts and not mine I don't want to 'overcook' them. Does anyone have a NOS 750K7/F2 one I can compare the hardness with? They are definitely a lot softer now but not sure how far to go . I  do have a K7 carb body so I could push them onto that. Is the stub on the F2/K7 head the same as the K0-> K6?

I was going to try to get a bulk amount of the Reofos 50, via my industrial contact and offer it to members here  but seems I told you porkies about the toxicity so I have chickened out. Don't want to be responsible for anyone becoming one of Nurse Julies patients !! Magic stuff though.

Link to supplier/safety data sheet .

http://www.greatlakes.com/Industries_We_Serve/Building_and_Construction/Other_Building_Materials/Reofos_50

It states 'Restricted to professional users'.... in the Safety Data Sheet. It's not a known carcinogen  or anything like that but still nasty.

BTW There is a guy selling Cyanide copper plating solution in the UK on his website to Joe Public... Scary !! Think he was on Dragon's Den !   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250ml-Copper-Strike-Plating-Silution-/301242031103?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item46236c9bff

Ash

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:04:42 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »
Ash I have a now set

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 11:55:51 AM »
Ash I have a now set

Cheers Pete ... OK  so I will try to get a method we can both use to compare the deflection at a given compression .. did you mean NOS?

Ash

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal