Author Topic: What do I check?  (Read 15417 times)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: What do I check?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 07:03:49 PM »
anyway the 550 tensioner is removed from the top so head needs removing anyway, if the chains need replacing it needs a complete strip down, its not a bad job to do if you are careful.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 07:06:28 PM »
Agreed I would strip the lot wether it needed it or not.After you know all is ok ;)
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 07:20:52 PM »
Agreed I would strip the lot wether it needed it or not.After you know all is ok ;)
Cheers
Bitsa
Except for the screwups I'll make myself!  Downloaded and printed the honda shop manual and have my Haynes, so I'm ready for the weekend!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 07:29:54 PM »
before you attempt to take the head ,rocker cover.clutch cover ,in fact just about all of the motor,

spray well with penetrating oil,concentrate on all the screws,bolts and nuts,

go and read the manuals for at least 12 hrs,

then come back and spray everything again,

preparation will make the job easier,
BTW,do you have an Impact screwdriver? much needed on Honda motors
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
Mr T
The beauty off all the fours is when you strip them and knowing the price of gaskets etc is when you put that top bit on you know its sound.
You know the the cam chain is new the cylinders are as best you can do the cases and all the oil ways are clean and free off shite.All the blades are new and work, can go on about it for hours
But you albiet its not new you know it is.Never trust anything unless you have done it yourself :D
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 09:54:16 PM »
before you attempt to take the head ,rocker cover.clutch cover ,in fact just about all of the motor,

spray well with penetrating oil,concentrate on all the screws,bolts and nuts,

go and read the manuals for at least 12 hrs,

then come back and spray everything again,

preparation will make the job easier,
BTW,do you have an Impact screwdriver? much needed on Honda motors
I've started on the reading already.  I've got a can of WD40 at the ready and already have an impact screwdriver.  I'll have to borrow or buy a torque wrench though.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 09:55:13 PM »
Mr T
The beauty off all the fours is when you strip them and knowing the price of gaskets etc is when you put that top bit on you know its sound.
You know the the cam chain is new the cylinders are as best you can do the cases and all the oil ways are clean and free off shite.All the blades are new and work, can go on about it for hours
But you albiet its not new you know it is.Never trust anything unless you have done it yourself :D
Cheers
Bitsa
True enough Bitsa, just wish I was a bit more confident about the job, but I guess there's a first for everyone.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:16 PM »
Just looked at a replacement DID cam chain, and they're split link.  If that's the case, can't I cut the one that's on there and use it to pull the new one through, avoiding the need to pull the crank?

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »
Forgot to mention,  make sure the tensioner is completely free (not sticking) and likewise for the pushrod otherwise you're wasting your time.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 11:33:28 PM »
I was referring to the snobs of gasket goo interested sump; nothing to worry about.   The particles of alloy are a different matter.   It's more likely that the cam chain tensioner (the horseshoe part) is sticking causing the camchain to rub the sides of the camchain tunnel.

What horseshoe? There is no horseshoe on a 550.

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:07 PM »
I was referring to the snobs of gasket goo interested sump; nothing to worry about.   The particles of alloy are a different matter.   It's more likely that the cam chain tensioner (the horseshoe part) is sticking causing the camchain to rub the sides of the camchain tunnel.

Stop it trig,of course there is
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 11:39:19 PM »

Stop it trig,of course there is

On a 400 there is. It depends what you call a horseshoe ? On a 550 there is a blade and a tensioner

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 11:44:48 PM »

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2015, 01:13:09 AM »
Just looked at a replacement DID cam chain, and they're split link.  If that's the case, can't I cut the one that's on there and use it to pull the new one through, avoiding the need to pull the crank?
I have done that thousands of miles ago.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »
No horseshoe on a 500/550.

If the head gasket is still sound I'd leave it alone, the tensioner can be removed by removing the skull cap/rocker train cap and removing the cam, the tensioner is held by a 6mm bolt at the back of the head, remove that and undo the 6mm nut from the adjuster screw and you should be able to push it forward and lift it out.

As Bryan says, the pistons won't come out of the bottom of the casing but you can split the rods off the crank to allow not only the primary but the camchain to be threaded off the crank. All you need to do is remove the primary shaft in order for the 2 casing halves to be split, assuming of course you've removed all the bolts/casings. The primary shaft can be removed by screwing the step bar bolt (lower engine hanger bolt) into the end of the shaft and using one of the footrests as a sort of sliding hammer. There is a thread somewhere showing pics of how to spot if the primary chain is buggered, look for it. Keep track of where everything came from, especially the conrods caps, they must go back onto the same rod they came off.

Sounds hard but actually a bit of common sense and it's fairly easy.
Ok, I actually think I can visualise all the parts you mentioned - sounds doable.  Will have a search round for how to tell if the cam chain and primary chain are worn and have a go this weekend.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal