Author Topic: What do I check?  (Read 15418 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
What do I check?
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:56:28 AM »
Alright gents, time to ask some questions that might be pretty basic, but I don't know the answers.

I purchased a 550K engine to put in my project.  The engine has very low miles and is in excellent condition, but the PO bought it to cannibalised the head for his own project, then replaced it with another at a later date before selling it on to me. 
He tells me the engine is ready to drop in and go, and looking at the quality of the bikes he had restored previously, I'm almost tempted to believe him, almost...

Trig mentioned awhile ago that I should check the sump and oil screen before installing, and I'm planning on checking the tappet clearances and changing oil/filter, but what else should I be doing before I try to drop this in the frame?

I don't have an engine mount, so what is the best way to access the sump - can I lay the engine up on its side?

Do I need a new gasket for the sump or can I reuse the old one?

I'm playing with the idea of polishing the covers, as there are a few spots of corrosion where the clear coat has been nicked.  Again, if I remove these covers, will I need new gaskets or are the old ones reusable?

Anything I'm missing?

Any advice, as always, would be gratefully recieved.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: What do I check?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »
You can stand the engine on its back (the flat surface behind the gear box) Never on its side !
The sump gasket is rubber and you will not know until you remove the sump, which is 10x 6mm bolts.
The oil strainer just pulls out after you remove the rubber hose with is held on by wire clips.
The cases can be polished but, need the lacquer removed first. The alternator gasket can easy be re-used and the clutch gasket depends on the condition.
Be careful when moving the engine about as it is easy to damage. Not a light unit at about 76kg.

Offline martin_uk

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »
If you have any thick insulation board it is useful to sit engine on and protect from damage,

2014_1206Kparts0020 by nitram2010, on Flickr
1977 CB750F1
1977 CB750f1 836
1978 CB750F1
1975 CB500K1

Triumph Street Triple 675R
Ducati 800 Icon Scrambler
Triumph 3TA
AJS 350 mod16
BSA BantamD1
Honda C90zz
Honda CB500X
BSA WD B40 350

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  Is there any way to check if the PO has installed the head correctly?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  Is there any way to check if the PO has installed the head correctly?

Only by stripping the top end down. Check if the cam chain has been lined up right and if the head nuts have been torque down but, this will not tell you if it has piston rings or not  ;D

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 03:47:57 PM »

Only by stripping the top end down. Check if the cam chain has been lined up right and if the head nuts have been torque down but, this will not tell you if it has piston rings or not  ;D
THAT would be an unpleasant surprise.  Will have a look in my haynes for a cam chain procedure.  This will be the first time I've ever delved into an engine that isn't in a chainsaw!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 04:50:29 PM »
Compression test if you are feeling paranoid, easier than pulling it appart, will rapidly indicate no piston rings I would think. It would also verify the valves were sealing.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »
I'm more worried that the cam and chain are installed correctly and timing is sorted.  PO never pulled the pistons or removed the barrels.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:15:26 PM »
Take the plugs out. Turn the engine over using the large nut on the crank under the points cover and check all your clearances.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 06:03:25 PM »
Right-o,  time for an update.  Engine rotates freely, so that's good news. Pulled the sump out and found a fair amount of gunk, with some bits that are somewhat concerning.  First off, there were some thin rubber pieces sitting in the sump.

After thinning out the gunk with some petrol, this was left behind.  Is this something to be concerned about?

A quick look up top didn't reveal any obvious wear to me, so bonus there.  The main chain running top to bottom was able to slide side to side a bit - is this an issue?

Adjusted the valves, checked the static timing, and adjusted the cam shaft tension.  For the cam tension, other than loosening and re tightening the adjuster bolt, is there anything else to it?  Seems too simple....

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 06:09:22 PM »
Can't see any gold in that pan. Get a magnetic sump bolt and everything should be good.
Cant see any thin rubber.

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 08:30:55 PM »

That's where all the s##t should end up
Don't panic.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 12:19:22 AM »
Can't see any gold in that pan. Get a magnetic sump bolt and everything should be good.
Cant see any thin rubber.
Some gold would be nice... balance my budget. 
Here's a closer pic of the rubber bits

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 12:21:33 AM »

That's where all the s##t should end up
Don't panic.
Glad to hear!  I think it's all ready to go, mechanically anyways.  Just polishing the side cases now.

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 08:29:21 AM »
Well I suppose technically the sump is the reservoir for the oil....but it doesn't look like you have any major components lurking in it..and any small particles should end up in the filter
I think it was trigger who told me that pumping diesel around the engine via the kick start was a good way of lubricating and clearing all oil ways..its just a very light oil after all

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal